Elements of an Agile Discovery Environment
Machine learning methods and data mining techniques have proved to be quite helpful in a number of discovery tasks. However, the most popular modern tools in this area do not tend to back the discovery process properly. In this paper we investigate the reasons that prevent modern data mining tools from becoming convenient and productive discovery environments. We come up with principles of an agile discovery environment, i.e. a data mining-driven software designed to support the process of discovery.
KeywordsData Mining Discovery Process Machine Learning Method Inductive Logic Programming Data Mining Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Manifesto for agile software development (2001), http://agilemanifesto.org/
- 4.KD-Nuggets. Kdnuggets: Polls: Data mining tools you regularly use (June 2002) http://www.kdnuggets.com/polls/2002/data_mining_tools.htm
- 6.Weka 3: Machine learning software in Java, http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/
- 10.de Wolf, R., Nienhuys-Cheng, S.-H.: Foundations of inductive logic programming. Lecture notes in artificial intelligence. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Finn, V.: Plausible reasoning of JSM-type in open (+/-) worlds. In: Architectures for Semiotic Modeling and Situation Analysis in Large Complex Systems, Monterey, CA, USA (1995)Google Scholar
- 14.Data Mining Group. Predictive model markup language (PMML), http://www.dmg.org/