Energy Efficient Connectivity Maintenance in Wireless Sensor Networks
Connectivity maintenance in energy stringent wireless sensor networks is a very important problem. Constructing a connected dominating set (CDS) has been widely used as a connectivity topology strategy to reduce the network communication overhead. In the paper, a novel energy efficient distributed backbone construction algorithm based on connected dominating set is presented to make the network connected and further prolong the network lifetime, balance energy consumption. The algorithm is with O(n) time complexity and O(n) message complexity. The results show that our algorithm outperforms several existing algorithms in terms of network lifetime and backbone performance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ephremides, A., Wiselthier, J., Baker, D.: A Design Concept for Reliable Mobile Radio Networks With Frequency Hoping Signaling, Proc. IEEE, 75Google Scholar
- 4.Wattenhofer, R., Li, L., Bahl, P., Wang, Y.: Distributed Topology Control for Power Efficient Operation in Multihop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, Proc. of InforCom (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Xu, Y., Bien, S., Mori, Y., Heidemann, J., Estrin, D.: Topology Control Protocols to Conserve Energy in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, Technical Report 6, University of California, Los Angeles (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Xu, Y., Heidemann, J., Estrin, D.: Geography-Informed Energy Conservation For Ad Hoc Routing, In: proc. of 7th Annual Int’l Conf on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), Rome, Italy. (2001) 70–84Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, B., Jamieson, K., Balakrishnan, H., Morris, R.: Span: An Energy-Efficient Coordination Algorithm for Topology Maintenance in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks, Proc. MobiCom. (2001) 85–96Google Scholar
- 9.Wan, P.J., Alzoubi, K., Frieder, O.: Distributed Well Connected Dominating Set in Wireless ad hoc networks, in proc. of INFOCOM (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Alzoubi, K.M., Wan, P.J.: New Distributed Algorithm For Connected Dominating Set In Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. Proc. 35th Hawaii Int’1 Conf, System Sciences (2002) 3881–3887Google Scholar
- 11.Min, M., Huang, C.X., Huang, S.C.-H., Wu, W., Du, H., Jia, X.: Improving Construction for Connected Dominating Set with Steiner Tree in Wireless Sensor Networks, to appear in Journal of Global Optimization (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Wu, W., Du, H., Jia, X., Li, Y., Huang, C.-H., Du D-Z.: Minimum Connected Dominating Sets And Maximal Independent Sets In Unit Disk Graphs, Technical Report 04-047, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota (2004)Google Scholar