User Preference Through Bayesian Categorization for Recommendation
The personalized recommendation system is required to save efforts in searching the items in ubiquitous commerce, it is very important for a recommendation system to predict accurately by analyzing user’s preferences. A recommendation system utilizes in general an information filtering technique called collaborative filtering, which is based on the ratings matrix of other users who have similar preference. This paper proposes the user preference through Bayesian categorization for recommendation to overcome the sparsity problem and the first-rater problem of collaborative filtering. In addition, to determine the similarity between the users belonging to a particular class and new users, we assign different statistical values to the items that the users evaluated using Naive Bayesian classifier. We evaluated the proposed method on the EachMovie datasets of user ratings and it was found to significantly outperform the previously proposed method.
KeywordsRecommendation System User Preference Rating Matrix Collaborative Filter Mean Absolute Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balabanovic, M., Shoham, Y.: Fab: Content-based, Collaborative Recommendation. Communication of the Association of Computing Machinery, 66–72 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Basu, C., Hirsh, H., Cohen, W.: Recommendation as Classification: Using Social and Content-based Information in Recommendation. In: Proceedings of the 15th National Conference on AI, pp. 714–720 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Breese, J.S., Kadie, C.: Empirical Analysis of Predictive Algorithms for Collaborative Filtering. In: Proceedings of the 14th Conference on Uncertainty in AI, pp. 43–52 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Jung, K.Y., Lee, J.H.: User Preference Mining through Hybrid Collaborative Filtering and Content-based Filtering in Recommendation System. IEICE Transaction on Information and Systems 87-D(12), 2781–2790 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Melville, P., Mooney, R.J., Nagarajan, R.: Content-Boosted Collaborative Filtering. In: Proceedings of the SIGIR-2001 Workshop on Recommender Systems (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.McJones, P.: EachMovie collaborative filtering datasetGoogle Scholar
- 10.(1997), URL: http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/eachmovie
- 11.Michael, T.: Maching Learning, pp. 154–200. McGraw-Hill, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Miyahara, K., Pazzani, M.J.: Collaborative Filtering with the Simple Bayesian Classifier. In: Proceedings of the 6th Pacific Rim Int. Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 679–689 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Pazzani, M.J.: A Framework for Collaborative, Content-based and Demographic Filtering. Artificial Intelligence Review, 393–408 (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Lee, W.S.: Collaborative Learning for Recommender Systems. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 314–321 (1997)Google Scholar
- 16.Wang, J., de Vries, A.P., Reinders, M.J.T.: A User-Item Relevance Model for Log-based Collaborative Filtering. In: Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Retrieval, pp. 37–48 (2006)Google Scholar