A new approach to topological clean-up of 2D meshes is presented. Instead of searching for patterns in a mesh and replacing them as in other methods, the proposed method replaces a region in a mesh only according to the boundary of that region. This simplifies the classification of the different cases, and allows mesh modification over greater regions in the mesh. An algorithm for quadrilateral meshes utilizing this approach is presented in detail, and its effects on example problems are shown.
- Size Transition
- Quadrilateral Mesh
- Shape Quality
- Mesh Boundary
- Mesh Replacement
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
This is a preview of subscription content, access via your institution.
Tax calculation will be finalised at checkout
Purchases are for personal use onlyLearn about institutional subscriptions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
1. Blacker T.D., Stephenson M.B., Paving: A New Approach to Automated Quadrilateral Mesh Generation, Int. Journal for Numerical Methods in Eng., Vol. 32, pp. 811–847, 1991.
2. Canann S.A., Muthukrishnan S. N., Phillips R. K., Topological Improvement Procedures for Quadrilateral Finite Element Meshes, Engineering with Computers, Vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 168–177, 1998.
3. Kinney P., Clean Up: Improving Quadrilateral Finite Element Meshes, Proc. of the 6th International Meshing Roundtable, pp. 449–461, 1997.
4. Lee C.K., Lo, S.H., A new Scheme for the Generation of Graded Quadrilateral Meshes, Computers and Structures, Vol. 52, pp. 847–857, 1994.
5. Owen S.J., Staten M.L., Canann S.A., Saigal S., Advancing Front Quadrilateral Meshing Using Triangle Transformations, Proc. of the 7th International Meshing Roundtable, 1998.
6. Staten M.L., Canann S.A., Post Refinement Element Shape Improvement for Quadrilateral Meshes, AMD-220, Trends in Unstructured Mesh Generation, ASME, pp. 9–16, 1997.
7. Vachal P., Garimella R. V., Shashkov M. J., Untangling of 2D meshes in ALE simulations, J. of Computational Physics, vol. 196, no. 2, pp. 627–644, 2004.
Editors and Affiliations
© 2006 Springer
About this paper
Cite this paper
Bunin, G. (2006). Non-Local Topological Clean-Up. In: Pébay, P.P. (eds) Proceedings of the 15th International Meshing Roundtable. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-34958-7_1
Publisher Name: Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
Print ISBN: 978-3-540-34957-0
Online ISBN: 978-3-540-34958-7