Schur Complement Preconditioners for Distributed General Sparse Linear Systems
This paper discusses the Schur complement viewpoint when developing parallel preconditioners for general sparse linear systems. Schur complement methods are pervasive in numerical linear algebra where they represent a canonical way of implementing divide-and-conquer principles. The goal of this note is to give a brief overview of recent progress made in using these techniques for solving general, irregularly structured, sparse linear systems. The emphasis is to point out the impact of Domain Decomposition ideas on the design of general purpose sparse system solution methods, as well as to show ideas that are of a purely algebraic nature.
KeywordsDomain Decomposition Sparse Matrix Sparse Linear System Large Entry Diagonal Dominance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.M. Bollöfer and Y. Saad, ILUPACK - preconditioning software package, release v1.0, may 14, 2004. Available online athttp://www.tuberlin.de/ilupack/.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Bollöfer and Y. Saad, Multilevel preconditioners constructed from inverse-based ILUs, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., 27 (2006), pp. 1627–1650.Google Scholar
- 6.E. F. F. Botta, A. van der Ploeg, and F. W. Wubs, A fast linear-system solver for large unstructured problems on a shared-memory computer, in Proceedings of the Conference on Algebraic Multilevel Methods with Applications, O. Axelsson and B. Polman, eds., 1996, pp. 105–116.Google Scholar
- 9.T. H. Cormen, C. E. Leiserson, and R. L. Rivest, Introduction to Algorithms, McGraw Hill, New York, 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.B. Hendrickson and R. Leland, The Chaco User's Guide Version 2, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque NM, 1995.Google Scholar
- 14.P. Henon and Y. Saad, A parallel multilevel ILU factorization based on a hierarchical graph decomposition, Tech. Rep. UMSI-2004-74, Minnesota Supercomputer Institute, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2004.Google Scholar
- 23.F. Pellegrini, SCOTCH 4.0 user's guide, tech. rep., INRIA Futurs, April 2005. http://www.labri.fr/perso/pelegrin/scotch/.Google Scholar
- 25.Y. Saad, ILUM: a multi-elimination ILU preconditioner for general sparse matrices, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., (1996), pp. 830–847.Google Scholar
- 27.Y. Saad and M. Sosonkina, Non-standard parallel solution strategies for distributed sparse linear systems, in Parallel Computation: 4th international ACPC conference, Salzburg Austria, February 1999, P. Zinterhof, M. Vajtersic, and A. Uhl, eds., vol. 1557 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp. 13–27.Google Scholar
- 29.B. F. Smith, Domain Decomposition Algorithms for the Partial Differential Equations of Linear Elasticity, PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University, New York, September 1990.Google Scholar