Road Obstacle Detection Using Robust Model Fitting
Awareness of pedestrians, other vehicles, and other road obstacles is key to driving safety, and so their detection is a critical need in driver assistance research. We propose using a model-based approach which can either directly segment the disparity to detect obstacles or remove the road regions from an already segmented disparity map. We developed two methods for segmentation: first, by directly segmenting obstacles from the disparity map; and, second by using morphological operations followed by a robust model fitting algorithm to reject road segments after the segmentation process. To test the success of our methods, we have tested and compared them with an available method in the literature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bertozzi, M., Broggi A., Fascioli A., and Sechi, M., Shape-based Pedestrian Detection, Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 215–220, Oct. 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.Bertozzi, M., Broggi, A., Grisleri, P., Graf, T., and Meinecke, M., Pedestrain Detection in Infrared Images, Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 662–667, June 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Franke, U. and Kutzbach, Fast Stereo based Object Detection for Stop and Go Traffic, Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 339–344, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.Gavrila, D. M., Giebel, J., and Munder, S., Vision-Based Pedestrian Detection: The PROTECTOR System, pp. 13–18, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.Grubb Grant, Alexander Zelinsky, Lars Nilsson, Magnus Rible, 3D Vision Sensing for Improved Pedestrian Safety, Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (2004), pp. 19–24, Parma Italy, June 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.Labayrade, R., Aubert, D., and Tarel, J.-P., Real Time Obstacle Detection in Stereovision on Non Flat Road Geometry Through “V-disparity” Representation, pp. 646–651, June 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, Z., Bebis, G., and Miller, R., On-Road Vehicle Detection Using Optical Sensors: A Review, Proceedings of IEEE Intelligenct Transportation Systems Conference, Washington, D.C. USA, pp. 585–590, 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.Viola, P., Jones, M., and Snow, D., Detecting Pedestrians Using Patterns of Motion and Appearance, Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), pp. 734–741, Oct. 2003.Google Scholar
- 12.Zhao, L. and Thorpe Charles E., Stereo-and Neural Network-Based Pedestrian Detection IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systemes, vol. 1, pp. 148–154, Sep, 2000.Google Scholar