Component Refinement and CSC Solving for STG Decomposition
STGs (Signal Transition Graphs) give a formalism for the description of asynchronous circuits based on Petri nets. To overcome the state explosion problem one may encounter during circuit synthesis, a nondeterministic algorithm for decomposing STGs was suggested by Chu and improved by one of the present authors.
We study how CSC solving (which is essential for circuit synthesis) can be combined with decomposition. For this purpose the correctness definition for decomposition is enhanced with internal signals and it is shown that speed-independent CSC solving preserves correctness. The latter uses a more general result about correctness of top-down decomposition. Furthermore, we apply our definition to give the first correctness proof for the decomposition method of Carmona and Cortadella.
- 2.Carmona, J., Cortadella, J.: ILP models for the synthesis of asynchronous control circuits. In: Proc. of the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer Aided Design, pp. 818–825 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Carmona, J.: Structural Methods for the Synthesis of Well-Formed Concurrent Specifications. PhD thesis, Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Chu, T.-A.: Synthesis of Self-Timed VLSI Circuits from Graph-Theoretic Specifications. PhD thesis, MIT (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.Cortadella, J., Kishinevsky, M., Kondratyev, A., Lavagno, L., Yakovlev, A.: Petrify: a tool for manipulating concurrent specifications and synthesis of asynchronous controllers. IEICE Trans. Information and Systems E80-D(3), 315–325 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Dill, D.: Trace Theory for Automatic Hierarchical Verification of Speed-Independent circuits. MIT Press, Cambridge (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.García-Vallés, F., Colom, J.M.: Structural analysis of signal transition graphs. In: Petri Nets in System Engineering (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Kondratyev, A., Kishinevsky, M., Taubin, A.: Synthesis method in self-timed design. Decompositional approach. In: IEEE Int. Conf. VLSI and CAD, pp. 324–327 (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Vogler, W., Kangsah, B.: Improved decomposition of signal transition graphs. Technical Report 2004-8, University of Augsburg (2004), http://www.Informatik.Uni-Augsburg.DE/skripts/techreports/
- 13.Yoneda, T., Onda, H., Myers, C.: Synthesis of speed independent circuits based on decomposition. In: ASYNC 2004, pp. 135–145. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar