Algorithms for WLAN Coverage Planning
The impressive market spread of IEEE 802.11 based Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) is calling for quantitative approaches in the network planning procedure. It is common belief that such networks have the potentials to replace traditional indoor wired local networks and allow flexible access outdoor, eventually competing with classical cellular systems (GSM, GPRS, UMTS, etc.). The appropriate positioning of the Access Points (AP) is crucial to determine the network effectiveness. In a companion paper we argue that previously proposed approaches to coverage planning neglect the features of the IEEE 802.11 access mechanism, which limits system capacity when access points coverage areas overlap. In this paper we describe the optimization models with hyperbolic and quadratic objective functions that directly accounts for system capacity and we propose heuristics combining greedy and local search phases. Computational results show that our heuristics provide near-optimal solutions within a reasonable amount of time.
KeywordsAccess Point Test Point Network Capacity Candidate Site Access Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amaldi, E., Capone, A., Cesana, M., Malucelli, F.: Optimizing WLAN Radio Coverage. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2004, Paris, France, June 20-24 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Ceria, S., Nobili, P., Sassano, A.: Set Covering Problem. In: Dell’Amico, M., Maffioli, F., Martello, S. (eds.) Annotated bibliographies in Combinatorial Optimization. John Wiley and Sons, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kamenetsky, M., Unbehaun, M.: Coverage planning for outdoor wireless LAN systems. In: 2002 International Zurich Seminar on Broadband Communications Access, Transmission, Networking, pp. 491–496 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, Y., Kim, K., Choi, Y.: Optimization of AP placement and Channel Assignment in Wireless LANs. In: IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, LCN 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Rodrigues, R.C., Mateus, G.R., Loureiro, A.A.F.: On the design and capacity planning of a wireless local area network. In: Network Operations and Management Symposium, NOMS 2000, pp. 335–348 (2000)Google Scholar