Two-Dimensional Discrete Morphing
In this article we present an algorithm for discrete object deformation. This algorithm is a first step for computing an average shape between two discrete objects and may be used for building a statistical atlas of shapes. The method we develop is based on discrete operators and works only on digital data. We do not compute continuous approximations of objects so that we have neither approximations nor interpolation errors. The first step of our method performs a rigid transformation that aligns the shapes as best as possible and decreases geometrical differences between them. The next step consists in searching the progressive transformations of one object toward the other one, that iteratively adds or suppresses pixels. These operations are based on geodesic distance transformation and lead to an optimal (linear) algorithm.
KeywordsDistance Information Average Shape Rigid Transformation Inertia Moment Rigid Registration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Blu67]Blum: A Transformation for Extracting new Descriptors of Shape. In models for perception of speech and visual form, 362–380 (1967)Google Scholar
- [Bor88]Borgefors, G.: Hierarchical Chamfer Matching: a Parametric Edge Matching Algorithm. IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence (1988)Google Scholar
- [CLRS01]Cormen, T.H., Leiserson, C.H., Rivest, R.L., Stein, C.: Inroduction à l’Algorithmique. xDunod, Paris (2001)Google Scholar
- [Iwa02]Iwanowski, M.: Image Morphing Based on Morphological Interpolation Combined with Linear Filtering (2002), Available at http://wscg.zcu.cz/wscg2002/Papers_2002/A23.pdf
- [LB98]Liu, A., Bullitt, E.: 3D/2D Registration via Skeletal near Projective Invariance in Tubular Objectives. In: Wells, W.M., Colchester, A.C.F., Delp, S.L. (eds.) MICCAI 1998. LNCS, vol. 1496, pp. 952–963. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- [MMF98]Maurer, C.R., Maciunas, R.J., Fitzpatrick, J.M.: Registration of Head CT Images to Physical Space Using Multiple Geometrical Features. In: Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging 1998, San diego, CA, February 1998, vol. 3338, pp. 72–80 (1998)Google Scholar
- [RMP+̂98]Roche, A., Malandain, G., Pennec, X., Cathier, P., Ayache, N.: Multimodal Image Registration by Maximisation of the Correlation Ratio. Technical Report 3378, INRIA (1998), Available at http://www.inria.fr/rrrt/rr-3378.html
- [Wol90]Wolberg, G.: Digital Image Warping. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1990)Google Scholar