A Novel Pattern Learning Method for Open Domain Question Answering
Open Domain Question Answering (QA) represents an advanced application of natural language processing. We develop a novel pattern based method for implementing answer extraction in QA. For each type of question, the corresponding answer patterns can be learned from the Web automatically. Given a new question, these answer patterns can be applied to find the answer. Although many other QA systems have used pattern based method, however, it is noteworthy that our method has been implemented automatically and it can handle the problem other system failed, and satisfactory results have been achieved. Finally, we give a performance analysis of this approach using the TREC-11 question set.
KeywordsNoun Phrase Question Type Question Answering Pattern Learn Answer Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ravichandran, D., Hovy, E.: Learning Surface Text Patterns for a Question Answering System. In: Proceedings of the ACL Conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, D., Lee, W.S.: Web based Pattern Mining and Matching Approach to Question Answering. In: Proceedings of the TREC-11 Conference. NIST, Gaithersburg, MD, 505-512 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Soubbotin, M.M.: Patterns of Potential Answer Expressions as Clues to the Right Answer. In: Proceedings of the TREC-10 Conference. NIST, Gaithersburg, MD, pp. 175–182 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Dumais, S., Banko, M., Brill, E., Lin, J., Ng, A.: Web Question Answering: Is More Always Better? In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Tampere, Finland (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Brill, E., Lin, J., Banko, M., Dumais, S., Ng, A.: Data-Intensive Question Answering. In: Proceedings of the TREC-10 Conference. NIST, Gaithersburg, MD, pp. 183–189 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Kwok, C.C.T., Etzioni, O., Weld, D.S.: Scaling Question Answering to the Web. In: Tenth World Wide Web Conference, Hong Kong, China, May 1-5 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Voorhees, E.: Overview of the Question Answering Track. Proceedings of the TREC-10 Conference. NIST,Gathersburg, MD, pp. 157–165 (2001)Google Scholar