A Flow-Through Workflow Control Scheme for BGP/MPLS VPN Service Provision
In a competitive telecommunications marketplace, operators must provide customers with rapid access to both new and traditional service offerings. Market share is developed through greater customer satisfaction and by reducing dissatisfaction. To maximize profitability, an operator must reduce the costs of delivering new services while building revenues from existing services. This paper proposes a workflow-based service delivery architecture for telecommunications services. We describe an business process management in telecommunications and propose the workflow patterns that are commonly applicable for the workflow management of the proposed telecommunications architecture. In addition, this paper proposes an XML-based workflow control scheme incorporating the workflow patterns for providing telecommunications services. Finally, we describe a scenario for the delivery of the BGP/MPLS VPN service adopting the proposed workflow-based service delivery architecture.
KeywordsBusiness Process Business Process Management Telecommunication Service Virtual Private Network Border Gateway Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Prior, C.: Workflow and Process Management, Maestro BPE Pty, Austria (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.WMFC, Workflow Management Coalition Terminology & Glossary, Document Number WFMC-TC-1100, Issue 3.0 (February 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.TMForum, New Generation Operational Support Systems (NGOSS) - Architecture Overview, Member Evaluation Version 1.1 (October 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Fent, A., Freitag, B.: ULTRAflow - A Lightweight Workflow Management System. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Functional and Logic Programming (WFLP 2001), Kiel, Germany (September 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Kolon, M.: MPLS VPN Provisioning, Part Number: 552005-002, Juniper Networks, Inc (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Rosen., Rekhter.: BGP/MPLS VPNs, IETF RFC 2547 (March 1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Bates., Chandara., Katz., Rekhter.: Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP4, IETF RFC 2858 (June 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Rosen, E., Viswanathan, A., Callon, R.: Multiprotocol Label Switching Architecture, IETF RFC3031 (2001)Google Scholar