Network Resource Management: From H.323 to SIP
IP Telephony has become a hot topic in the last few years. There are currently 2 major protocols for signaling IP telephony, namely SIP and H.323. The first version of H.323 has been published in 1996, whereas SIP is much younger. Since it is probable that both signalization protocols will coexist for a certain time, there is a need to port existing H.323 systems into a SIP environment. We propose in this paper a solution for porting a Quality of Service Architecture, namely the Resource Management Architecture, from H.323 to SIP. As an introduction, we provide a short overview of both protocols H.323 and SIP focusing on the call setup procedure and the capability exchange process. We then propose a solution for this concrete problem as well as technical possibility for implementing the porting of the architecture from H.323 to SIP.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU-T Rec.: H.323, Packet-Based Multimedia Communications Systems, Geneva, Switzerland (July 2003) (link to substandards), http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/rec/h
- 2.Rosenberg, J., Schulzrinne, H., Camarillo, G., Johnston, A., Peterson, J., Sparks, R., Handley, M., Schooler, E.: SIP: Session Initiation Protocol, IETF RFC 3261 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Camarillo, G., Marshall, W., Rosenberg, J.: Integration of Resource Management and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), IETF RFC 3312 (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Prehofer, C., Müller, H., Glasmann, J.: Scalable Resource Management Architecture for VoIP. In: Proc. of PROMS 2000, Cracow (October 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Glasmann, J., Müller, H.: Resource Management Architecture for RealtimeTraffic in Intranets. In: Networks 2002, Joint IEEE International Conferences ICN and ICWLHN, Atlanta, USA (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Glasmann, J., Tromparent, M.: Topology Discovery in the Context of Resource Management in IP-Networks. In: SoftCOM 2002, Split, Croatia (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Case, J., Fedor, M., Scho_stall, M., Davin, J.: A Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), RFC 1157 (May 1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Postel, J.: Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP), RFC 792 (September 1981)Google Scholar
- 9.Rosenberg, J., Schulzrinne, H.: An Offer/Answer Model with the Session Description Protocol (SDP), IETF RFC 3264 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.OpenH323, http://www.openh323.org
- 11.Opengatekeeper, http://opengatekeeper.sourceforge.net/
- 12.Partysip Server, http://www.partysip.org/
- 13.Ubiquity UA, http://www.ubiquity.net/products/SIP/