Operator Services Deployment with SIP: Trends of Telephony over IP
Nowadays Telephony on IP is de facto a reality. SIP Protocol has reached a sufficient maturity for the development of advanced multimedia services. The goal of this paper is to study the potentialities of SIP architectures to develop and deploy advanced SIP services, through a service case study, the Customized Call Routing service, developed and trialed in R&D labs of France Telecom. This paper suggests a deployment model of SIP services driven by the requirements of the different actors and details a generic architectural framework enabling to position various functions needed for NGN multimedia services.
KeywordsSession Initiation Protocol Deployment Model France Telecom Incumbent Operator Border Session Controller
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IETF, J. Rosenberg, et al.: SIP: Session Initiation Protocol, RFC 3261 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.ITU-T, Recommendation H.323, Packet based Multimedia Communication Systems, version 4 (November 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Bertin, E., Bury, E., Lesieur, P.: Next generation architectures: which roles for an incumbent operator? In: Proc. Eurescom summit (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Bertin, E., Bury, E., Lesieur, P.: Operator services deployment with SIP: Wireline feedback and 3GPP perspectives. In: ICIN 2003, Bordeaux (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Bertin, E., Bury, E., Lesieur, P.: Intelligence distribution in next-generation networks, an architectural framework for multimedia services. In: ICC 2004, Paris (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Fromentoux, G., et al.: IP networks towards NGN. In: Proc. IP networking&mediacom-2004 ITU-T Workshop (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Cochennec, J.Y.: Activities on Next-Generation Networks Under Global Information Infrastructure in ITU-T. IEEE Commun. Mag. (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Copeland, R.: The Place of SIP in Network Intelligence. In: ICIN 2003 (March-April 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.ITU-T, Recommendation Y.110, Global Information Infrastructure: principles and framework architecture (June 1998) Google Scholar
- 10.Modarressi, A.R., Mohan, S.: Control and Management in Next-Generation Networks: Challenges and Opportunities. IEEE Commun. Mag. (October 2000)Google Scholar