Trial-Number Reset Mechanism at MAC Layer for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
MANET(Mobile Ad Hoc Networks) routing protocols definitely need a route maintenance process due to frequent route breakage caused by node mobility, which takes advantage of the MAC layer’s handshaking service (RTS-CTS-DATA-ACK exchanged packet transmission is considered in this paper). Reaching the limited number of trial of packet transmission, namely retry-limit, before a reception of a corresponding ACK packet indicating a successful data transmission, is used to notify the routing protocol of a link breakage, that is, a route dis-connection. The packet, therefore, is discarded and the source is accordingly requested to perform a route recovery with producing many flooded route discovery packets. However, since a reception of a CTS packet during the MAC layer’s handshaking means an availability of route, the current number of trial used to detect a link breakage should not increase, but it should be reset to 0, instead. Furthermore, the absence of an ACK packet during a given ACK timeout after a successful reception of CTS packet should not increase the current number of trial for the same purpose. We show the performance improvement with this trial-number reset mechanism by using GloMoSim simulator with AODV routing protocol.
KeywordsNode Mobility Dynamic Source Route Optimize Link State Route RREQ Message Link Breakage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Internet Engineering Task Force, Manet working group charter, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/manet-charter.html
- 2.Clausen, T., Jacquet, P., Laouiti, A., Minet, P., Muhlethaler, P., Qayyum, A., Viennot, L.: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol(OLSR). IETF RFC 3626Google Scholar
- 3.Ogier, R.G., Templin, F.L., Bellur, B., Lewis, M.G.: Topology Broadcast Based on Reverse-Path Forwarding (TBRPF). IETF RFC 3684Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (DSR). IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-dsr- 08.txt (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Toh, C.K.: Associativity based Routing for Ad Hoc Mobile Networks. Wireless Personal Communications 4(2) (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Perkins, C.E., Belding-Royer, E.M., Das, S.R.: Ad-hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. IETF RFC 3561Google Scholar
- 7.Haas, Z.J., Pearlman, M.R., Samar, P.: The Zone Routing Protocol (ZRP) for Ad Hoc Networks. IETF MANET Internet Draft (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Karn, P.: MACA-a New Channel Access Method for Packet Radio. In: ARRL/CRRL Amateur Radio 9th Computer Networking Conference, pp. 134–140, ARRL (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.IEEE Computer Society LAN MAN Standards Committee. Wireless LAN MAC and PHY Specification, IEEE Std 802.11-1997Google Scholar