Providing Real Time Applications with a Seamless Handover Using a Combination of Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 and Fast Handover
Users of real time applications expect to roam between fixed and different wireless networks without notice, therefore handovers are expected to be seamless. The use of IP, and specifically Mobile Ipv6, as a transport technology solves some of the internetworking problems, but not the seamless handover. Although some extensions, as Hierarchical Mobile Ipv6 and Fast Handover, were introduced, these extensions, and combinations of them, do not offer an optimal handover performance. In this article, a new combination of these two extensions is proposed. This solution tries to solve the problems of seamless handoff for real time applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Assar Project: Looking at real time properties using Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 and Fast Handover. Communication System Design, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden, http://2g1319.ssvl.kth.se/~csd2002-mip/
- 2.Marques, V., Aguiar, R., Fontes, F., Jaehnert, J., Einsiedler, H.: Enabling IP QOS in Mobile Environments. In: IST Mobile Communications Summit 2001, Barcelona, Spain, September 9-12, pp. 300–305 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Köpsel, A., Wolisz, A.: Voice transmission in an IEEE 802.11 WLAN based access network. In: Proceedings of the 4th ACM international workshop on Wireless mobile multimedia. Rome, Italy, pp. 23–32 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Willén, J.: Introducing IPv6 and Mobile IPv6 into an IPv4 wireless Campus network. M.Sc. Thesis. KTH, Stockholm, Sweden (February 27, 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6. Internet Draft, IETF (June 2003) (work in progress)Google Scholar
- 6.Thomsom, S., Narten, T.: IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration. RFC 2462, IETF (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Soliman, H., Castellucia, C., Malki, K., Bellier, L.: Hierarchical MIPv6 mobility management. Internet Draft, IETF (June 2003) (work in progress)Google Scholar
- 8.Koodli, R.: Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6. Internet Draft, IETF (October 2003) (work in progress)Google Scholar
- 9.Hsieh, R., Sereviratne, A., Soliman, H., El-Malki, K.: Performance Analysis on Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 with Fast-Handoff over TCP. In: Proceedings of Globecom, Taipei, Taiwan (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.The ns-2 Website: The Network Simulator ns-2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam
- 11.Hsieh, R., Zhou, Z.G., Seneviratne, A.: S-MIP: A Seamless Handoff Architecture for Mobile IP. In: Proceedings of INFOCOM, San Francisco, USA (2003)Google Scholar