Lost Retransmission Detection for TCP Part 1: TCP Reno and NewReno
As a well-known issue, the performance of transmission control protocol (TCP) is affected by its loss recovery mechanism working based on two algorithms of fast retransmit and fast recovery. In particular, the fast recovery algorithm has been modified for improvement and become a basis on which each TCP implementation is differentiated such as TCP Tahoe, Reno, NewReno, and selective acknowledgement (SACK) option. Despite the recent improvement achieved in TCP NewReno and SACK option, TCP still has a problem that it cannot avoid retransmission timeout (RTO) when a retransmitted packet is lost. Therefore, in this paper, we introduce a simple algorithm for detecting a lost retransmission that can be applied to TCP implementations that do not use SACK option such as TCP Reno and NewReno. Using ns simulations, we show the microscopic behaviors of the lost retransmission detection algorithm when it works with each TCP. The numerical results based on existing analytic models are also shown.
KeywordsPacket Loss Transmission Control Protocol Packet Loss Probability Congestion Avoidance Loss Recovery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allman, M., Paxson, V., Stevens, W.: TCP Congestion Control. RFC 2581 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Jacobson, V.: Congestion Control and Avoidance. In: ACM SIGCOMM 1988 (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobson, V.: Modified TCP Congestion Avoidance Algorithm. note sent to end2end-interest mailing list, 314–329 (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Hoe, J.C.: Improving the Start-Up Behavior of a Congestion Control Scheme for TCP. In: ACM SIGCOMM 1996 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Blanton, E., Allman, M., Fall, K., Wang, L.: A Conservative Selective Acknowledgment (SACK)-based Loss Recovery Algorithm for TCP. RFC 3517 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Allman, M., Balakrishan, H., Floyd, S.: Enhancing TCP’s Loss Recovery Using Limited Transmit. RFC 3042 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.A. Kumar: Comparative Performance Analysis of Versions of TCP in a Local Network with a Lossy Link. IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, 6 (4) (1998) 485–498 Google Scholar
- 13.Kim, B., Lee, J.: A Simple Model for TCP Loss Recovery Performance over Wireless Networks. Int’l Journal of Communications and Networks (JCN) published by Korean Institute of Communication and Science (KICS) 6(3) (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Kim, B., Kim, D., Lee, J.: Lost Retransmission Detection for TCP SACK. accepted for publication in IEEE Communications Letters (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Braden, R.: Requirements for Internet Hosts. RFC 1122 (1989)Google Scholar