Cost Effective Design of TDM ADM Embedded in WDM Ring Networks
In this paper, we study a network design problem for TDM rings that are embedded in a WDM ring. We propose an optimization model based on the graph theory for the minimum use of TDM ADMs for these networks. We propose a branch-and-price algorithm to solve the suggested model to the optimality. By exploiting mathematical structure of ring networks, we develop a polynomial time column generation subroutine and a branching rule that conserves the mathematical structure for an efficient column generation. In computational experiments, the suggested model and algorithm can find not the approximation solutions but the optimal solutions for sufficient size networks within reasonable time. We also compare the solution qualities of the suggested algorithm with some known heuristics in literature.
KeywordsInteger Linear Program Wavelength Division Multiplex Column Generation Linear Program Relaxation Wavelength Assignment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stern, T.E., Bala, K.: Multiwavelength Optical Networks: A layered approach. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Gerstel, O., et al.: Combined WDM and SONET Network Design. In: IEEE Infocom 1999 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Dutta, R., Rouskas, G.: On Optimal Traffic Grooming in WDM Rings. IEEE JSAC 20(1), 110–121 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Gerstel, O., et al.: Wavelength Assignment in a WDM Ring to Minimize Cost of Embedded SONET Rings. In: IEEE Infocom 1998 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, L., Li, X., Wan, P., Frieder, O.: Wavelength assignment in WDM rings to minimize SONET ADMs. In: Proc. IEEE Infocom 2000, vol. 2, pp. 1020–1025 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Yuan, X., Fulay, A.: Wavelength Assignment to Minimize the Number of SONET ADMs. In: WDM Rings IEEE ICC 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, H., Chung, J.: Wavelength Assignment Optimization in Uni-Directional WDM ring. IE interface 13(4) (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, T., et al.: Optimal Routing and Wavelength Assignment in WDM Ring Networks. IEEE JSAC 18(10), 2146–2154 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Lu, X., He, S.: Wavelength assignment for WDM ring. Electronics Letters 39(19) (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Hsiao, J.Y., Tang, C.Y., Chang, R.S.: An efficient algorithms for finding a maximum weighted 2-independent set on interval graph. Information Processing Letters (43), 229–235 (1992)Google Scholar
- 13.Ahuja, R.K., Magnanti, T.L., Orlin, J.B.: Network flows: theory, algorithms and applications. Prentice Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs (1992)Google Scholar