Multiple Restricted Multiplication
This paper focuses on a class of problem relating to the multiplication of a single number by several coefficients that, while not constant, are drawn from a finite set of constants that change with time. To minimize the number of operations, we present the formulation as a form of common sub-expression elimination. The proposed scheme avoids the implementation of full multiplication. In addition, an efficient implemenation is presented targeting the Xilinx Virtex / Virtex-II family of FPGAs. We also introduce a novel use of Integer Linear Programming for finding solutions to the minimum-cost of such a multiplication problem. Our formulation results in area savings even for modest problem sizes.
KeywordsInteger Linear Program Integer Linear Program Model Data Flow Graph Select Line General Multiplier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Matsuura, K., Nagoya, A.: Formulation of the Addition-Shift-Sequence Problem and Its Complexity. In: Proc. 8th Int. Symp. on Algorithms and Computation (ISAAC), Singapore, pp. 42–51 (December 1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Parhi, K.K.: VLSI Digital Signal Processing Systems: Design and Implementation. Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Villalba, J., Bandera, G., Gonzalez, M.A., Hormigo, J., Zapata, E.L.: Polynomial evaluation on multimedia processors. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Application Specific Systems, Architectures and Processors (ASAP), San Jose, California (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Corbaz, G., Duprat, J., Hochet, B., Muller, J.-M.: Implementation of a VLSI polynomial evaluator for real-time applications. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Application Specific Array Processors, pp. 13–24 (September 1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Turner, R.H., Courtney, T., Woods, R.: Implementation of fixed DSP functions using the reduced coefficient multiplier. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. 881–884 (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Demirsoy, S.S., Dempster, A.G., Kale, I.: Design guidelines for reconfigurable multiplier blocks In Proc. Int. Symp. on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), vol. 4, pp. IV-293–IV-296 (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Pasko, R., Schaumont, P., Derudder, V., Durackova, D.: Optimization method for broadband modem FIR filter design using common subexpression elimination. In: Proc. 10th Int. Symp. on System Synthesis (ISSS), pp. 100–106 (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Xilinx Documentation and Literature, available from http://www.xilinx.com/literature/index.htm (accessed March 15, 2004)
- 11.MOSEK ApS optimization software, available from http://www.mosek.com (accessed March 15, 2004)