Knowledge Discovery in Lymphoma Cancer from Gene–Expression
A comprehensive study of the database used in Alizadeh et al. , about the identification of lymphoma cancer subtypes within Diffuse Large B–Cell Lymphoma (DLBCL), is presented in this paper, focused on both the feature selection and classification tasks. Firstly, we tackle with the identification of relevant genes in the prediction of lymphoma cancer types, and lately the discovering of most relevant genes in the Activated B–Like Lymphoma and Germinal Centre B–Like Lymphoma subtypes within DLBCL. Afterwards, decision trees provide knowledge models to predict both types of lymphoma and subtypes within DLBCL. The main conclusion of our work is that the data may be insufficient to exactly predict lymphoma or even extract functionally relevant genes.
KeywordsDecision Tree Feature Selection Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia Feature Selection Method Relevant Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alizadeh, A.A., Eisen, M., Botstain, D., Brown, P.O., Staudt, L.M.: Probing lymphocyte biology by genomic-scale gene expression analysis. Journal of Clinical Immunology (18), 373–379 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining – Concepts and Techniques. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Harris, N.L., Jaffe, E.S., Diebold, J., Flandrin, G., Muller-Hermelink, H.K., Vardiman, J., Lister, T.A., Bloomfield, C.D.: World health organization classification of neoplastic diseases of the hematopoietic and lymphoid tissues: Report of the clinical advisory committee meeting–airlie house, virginia, November 1997. Journal of Clinical Oncology 17, 3835–3849 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Hall, M.A.: Correlation–based feature selection for machine learning, Ph.d., Department of Computer Science, University of Waikato, New Zealand (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Kira, K., Rendell, L.: A practical approach to feature selection. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 249–256 (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Kononenko, I.: Estimating attributes: analysis and extensions of relief. In: Proceedings of European Conference on Machine Learning, Springer, Heidelberg (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, H., Setiono, R.: Chi2: Feature selection and discretization of numeric attributes. In: Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Witten, H., Frank, E.: Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques with Java Implementations. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2000)Google Scholar