Structures of Covariance Matrix in Handwritten Character Recognition
The integrated approach is a classifier established on statistical estimator and artificial neural network. This consists of preliminary data whitening transformation which provides good starting weight vector, and fast training of single layer perceptron (SLP). If sample size is extremely small in comparison with dimensionality, this approach could be ineffective. In the present paper, we consider joint utilization of structures and conventional regularization techniques of sample covariance matrices in order to improve recognition performance in very difficult case where dimensionality and sample size do not differ essentially. The techniques considered reduce a number of parameters estimated from training set. We applied our methodology to handwritten Japanese character recognition and found that combination of the integrated approach, conventional regularization and various structurization methods of covariance matrix outperform other methods including optimized Regularized Discriminant Analysis (RDA).
KeywordsGeneralization Error Character Pair Sample Covariance Matrice Joint Utilization Handwritten Character Recognition
- 2.Kligys, V.: On the classification of multivariate Markov sequences. In: Raudys, S. (ed.) Statistical Problems of Control, vol. 50, pp. 57–75. Inst. of Math. and Cyb. Press, Vilnius (1981) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 5.Palubinskas, G.: Spatial image recognition. In: Raudys, S. (ed.) Statistical Problems of Control, vol. 74, pp. 104–113. Inst. of Math. and Cyb. Press, Vilnius (1986) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 7.Palubinskas, G.: A review of spatial image recognition methods. In: Raudys, S. (ed.) Statistical Problems of Control, vol. 93, pp. 215–231. Inst. of Math. and Cyb. Press, Vilnius (1990) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 11.Raudys, S., Amari, S.: Effect of initial values in simple perception. In: Proceedings 1998 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, IJCNN 1998, pp. 1530–1535 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Sun, N., Uchiyama, Y., Ichimura, H., Aso, H., Kimura, M.: Intelligent recognition of characters using associative matching technique. In: Proc. Pacific Rim Int’l Conf. Artificial Intelligence (PRICAI 1990), pp. 546–551 (1990)Google Scholar