Single Machine Scheduling with Precedence Constraints
We discuss the problem of sequencing precedence-constrained jobs on a single machine to minimize the average weighted completion time. This problem has attracted much attention in the mathematical programming community since Sidney’s pioneering work in 1975. We look at the problem from a polyhedral perspective and uncover a relation between Sidney’s decomposition theorem and different linear programming relaxations. More specifically, we present a generalization of Sidney’s result, which particularly allows us to reason that virtually all known 2-approximation algorithms comply with his decomposition. Moreover, we establish a connection between the single-machine scheduling problem and the vertex cover problem. Indeed, in the special case of series-parallel precedence constraints, we prove that the sequencing problem can be seen as a special case of vertex cover. We also argue that this result is true for general precedence constraints if one can show that a certain integer program represents a valid formulation of the sequencing problem. Finally, we provide a characterization of the active inequalities of a linear programming relaxation in completion time variables.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Hall, L.A., Shmoys, D.B., Wein, J.: Scheduling to minimize average completion time: Off-line and on-line algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 7th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 142–151 (1996)Google Scholar
- 19.Queyranne, M., Schulz, A.S.: Polyhedral approaches to machine scheduling. Technical Report 408, Department of Mathematics, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany (1994)Google Scholar
- 21.Schulz, A.S.: Scheduling to minimize total weighted completion time: Performance guarantees of LP-based heuristics and lower bounds. In: Cunningham, W.H., Queyranne, M., McCormick, S.T. (eds.) IPCO 1996. LNCS, vol. 1084, pp. 301–315. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 25.Wolsey, L.A.: Mixed integer programming formulations for production planning and scheduling problems. Invited talk at the 12th International Symposium on Mathematical Programming, MIT, Cambridge (1985)Google Scholar
- 26.Wolsey, L.A.: Formulating single machine scheduling problems with precedence constraints. In: Gabszewic, J.J., Richard, J.F., Wolsey, L.A. (eds.) Economic Decision-Making: Games, Econometrics and Optimisation, pp. 473–484. North-Holland, Amsterdam (1990)Google Scholar