Optimized Design of MEMS by Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization with Interactive Evolutionary Computation
We combine interactive evolutionary computation (IEC) with existing evolutionary synthesis software for the design of micromachined resonators and evaluate its effectiveness using human evaluation of the final designs and a test for statistical significance of the improvements. The addition of IEC produces superior designs with fewer potential design or manufacturing problems than those produced through the evolutionary synthesis software alone as it takes advantage of the human ability to perceive design flaws that cannot currently be simulated. A user study has been performed to compare the effectiveness of the IEC enhanced software with the non-interactive software. The results show that the IEC-enhanced synthesis software creates a statistically significant greater number of designs rated best by users.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clark, J.V., Bindel, D., Kao, W., Zhu, E., Kuo, A., Zhou, N., Nie, J., Demmel, J., Bai, Z., Govindjee, S., Pister, K.S.J., Gu, M., Agogino, A.M.: Addressing the Needs of Complex MEMS Design. In: IEEE Int. MEMS Conf., Las Vegas, NV, USA, January 2002, pp. 204–209 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Kamalian, R., Zhou, N., Agogino, A.M.: A Comparison of MEMS Synthesis Techniques. In: 1st Pacific Rim Workshop on Transducers and Micro/Nano Technologies, Xiamen, China, July 2002, pp. 239–242 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, H., Antonsson, E.K.: Evolutionary Techniques in MEMS Synthesis. In: 25th Biennial Mechanisms Conf., ASME Design Engineering Technical Conf. (DETC 1998), Atlanta, GA, USA (1998) DETC98/MECH-5840Google Scholar
- 5.Ma, L., Antonsson, E.K.: Robust Mask-Layout Synthesis for MEMS. In: Int. Conf. on Modeling and Simulation of Microsystems, Chapter 5: Optimization, Nanotech, vol. 1, pp. 128–131 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Siegel, S., Castellan, N.J.: Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill, London (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhou, N., Zhu, B., Agogino, A.M., Pister, K.S.J.: Evolutionary Synthesis of MEMS MicroElectronicMechanical Systems Design. In: Intelligent Engineering System through Artificial Neural Networks Artificial Neural Networks in Engineering (ANNIE2001), vol. 11, pp. 197–202. ASME Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhou, N., Agogino, A.M., Pister, K.S.J.: Automated Design Synthesis for Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS). In: CD-ROM Proc. of ASME Design Automation Conference, Montreal, Canada (September-October 2002)Google Scholar