A Constraint Programming Model for Tail Assignment
We describe a Constraint Programming model for the Tail Assignment problem in airline planning. Previous solution methods for this problem aim at optimality rather than obtaining a solution quickly, which is often a drawback in practice, where quickly obtaining solutions can be very important. We have developed constraints that use strong reachability propagation and tunneling to a column generation pricing problem to form a complete and flexible constraint model for Tail Assignment which is able to quickly find solutions. Results on real-world instances from a medium size airline are presented.
KeywordsColumn Generation Vehicle Route Problem Constraint Model Crew Schedule Constraint Program Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.de Backer, B., Furnon, V., Kilby, P., Prosser, P., Shaw, P.: Solving Vehicle Routing Problems using Constraint Programming and Metaheuristics. Journal of Heuristics 1(16) (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Elf, M., Jünger, M., Kaibel, V.: Rotation Planning for the Continental Service of a European Airline. In: Jager, W., Krebs, H.-J. (eds.) Mathematics – Key Technologies for the Future. Joint Projects between Universities and Industry, pp. 675–689. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Erling, G., Rosin, D.: Tail Assignment with Maintenance Restrictions - A Constraint Programming Approach. Master’s thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Grönkvist, M.: Tail Assignment – A Combined Column Generation and Constraint Programming Approach. Lic. Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Grönkvist, M.: Using Constraint Propagation to Accelerate Column Generation in Aircraft Scheduling. In: Proceedings of CPAIOR 2003 (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Halatsis, C., Stamatopoulos, P., Karali, I., Bitsikas, T., Fessakis, G., Schizas, A., Sfakianakis, S., Fouskakis, C., Koukoumpetsos, T., Papageorgiou, D.: Crew Scheduling Based on Constraint Programming: The PARACHUTE Experience. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Hellenic-European Conference on Mathematics and Informatics HERMIS 1996, pp. 424–431 (1996)Google Scholar
- 13.Hjorring, C., Hansen, J.: Column generation with a rule modelling language for airline crew pairing. In: Proceedings of the 34th Annual Conference of the Operational Research Society of New Zealand, Hamilton, New Zealand, pp. 133–142 (December 1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Kilborn, E.: Aircraft Scheduling and Operation – a Constraint Programming Approach. Master’s thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Régin, J.-C.: A filtering algorithm for constraints of difference in CSPs. In: Proceedings of AAAI 1994, pp. 362–367 (1994)Google Scholar