P Systems and Petri Nets
We propose an intriguing relationship between P systems and Petri nets. For a basic model of P systems, this paper presents a new formalization based on place/transition nets, which can adopt one transition to implement the structural operational semantics of one evolving rule in P systems and utilize incidence matrix to analyze the computation of one macro-step. We also define the behavioral properties in P systems such as terminating, liveness, and boundedness based on this formalization. For a general class of P systems, we briefly describe a high-level framework called membrane Petri nets (MP-nets). MP-nets extend ordinary colored Petri nets (CPN) through introducing the dynamic features such as dissolve, divide, and move inspired by P systems. Therefore, MP-nets can be a graphical as well as an algebraic modelling tool for both generic P systems and dynamic CPN.
KeywordsPriority Relation Partial Order Relation Input Object Membrane Computing Parent Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asperti, A., Bussi, N.: Mobile Petri nets. Technical Report UBLCS-96-10, University of Bologna, Italy, 10–21 (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Badouel, E., Oliver, J.: Reconfigurable nets: A class of high-level Petri nets supporting dynamic changes with workflow systems, INRIA Research Report, PI-1163 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Baranda, A.V., Arroyo, F., Castellanos, J., Gonzalo, R.: Towards an electronic implementation of membrane computing: A formal description of non-deterministic evolution in transition P systems. In: Jonoska, N., Seeman, N.C. (eds.) DNA 2001. LNCS, vol. 2340, p. 350. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ellis, C., Keddara, K., Rozenberg, G.: Dynamic change within workflow systems. In: Proceeding of the Conference on Organizational Computing Systems. ACM Press, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Ghabri, M.-K., Ladet, P.: Dynamic Petri nets and their applications. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Automation Technology, pp. 93–98 (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Jensen, K.: Coloured Petri Nets. In: Basic Concepts, Analysis Methods and Practical Use. Basic Concepts. Springer, Heidelberg (1997); 2nd corrected printingGoogle Scholar
- 19.Perez-Jimenez, M.J., Sancho-Caparrini, F.: Verifying a P system generating squares. Romanian J. Inform. Sci. Tech. 5, 181–191 (2002)Google Scholar
- 21.Peterson, J.L.: Petri net Theory and the Modeling of Systems. Prentice-Hall, N.J. (1981)Google Scholar