Scheduling to Minimize Average Completion Time Revisited: Deterministic On-Line Algorithms
We consider the scheduling problem of minimizing the average weighted completion time on identical parallel machines when jobs are arriving over time. For both the preemptive and the nonpreemptive setting, we show that straightforward extensions of Smith’s ratio rule yield smaller competitive ratios compared to the previously best-known deterministic on-line algorithms, which are (4+ε)-competitive in either case. Our preemptive algorithm is 2-competitive, which actually meets the competitive ratio of the currently best randomized on-line algorithm for this scenario. Our nonpreemptive algorithm has a competitive ratio of 3.28. Both results are characterized by a surprisingly simple analysis; moreover, the preemptive algorithm also works in the less clairvoyant environment in which only the ratio of weight to processing time of a job becomes known at its release date, but neither its actual weight nor its processing time. In the corresponding nonpreemptive situation, every on-line algorithm has an unbounded competitive ratio.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Afrati, F.N., Bampis, E., Chekuri, C., Karger, D.R., Kenyon, C., Khanna, S., Milis, I., Queyranne, M., Skutella, M., Stein, C., Sviridenko, M.: Approximation schemes for minimizing average weighted completion time with release dates. In: Proceedings of the 40th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), New York, NY, pp. 32–43 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Anderson, E.J., Potts, C.N.: On-line scheduling of a single machine to minimize total weighted completion time. In: Proceedings of the Thirteenth Annual ACMSIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), San Francisco, CA, pp. 548–557 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Hoogeveen, J.A., Vestjens, A.P.A.: Optimal on-line algorithms for single-machine scheduling. In: Cunningham, W.H., Queyranne, M., McCormick, S.T. (eds.) IPCO 1996. LNCS, vol. 1084, pp. 404–414. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Labetoulle, J., Lawler, E.L., Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G.: Preemptive scheduling of uniform machines subject to release dates. In: Pulleyblank, W.R. (ed.) Progress in Combinatorial Optimization, pp. 245–261. Academic Press, New York (1984)Google Scholar
- 18.Vestjens, A.P.A.: On-line Machine Scheduling. PhD thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands (1997)Google Scholar