Realization of hp-Galerkin BEM in ℝ3
It is well known that Galerkin discretizations based on hp-Finite Element Spaces are converging exponentially with respect to the degrees of freedom for elliptic problems with piecewise analytic data. However, the question whether these methods can be realized for general situations such that the exponential convergence is preserved also with respect to the computing time is very essential.
In this paper, we will show how the numerical quadrature can be realized in order that the resulting fully discrete hp-Boundary Element Method converges exponentially with algebraically growing work. The key point is to approximate the integrals constituting the stiffness matrix by exponentially converging cubature methods.
KeywordsBoundary Element Method Fredholm Integral Equation Exponential Convergence Finite Element Space Numerical Quadrature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Davis and P. Rabinowitz. Methods of Numerical Integration. Academic Press, 1984.Google Scholar
- J. Elschner. On the Exponential Convergence of some Boundary Element Methods for Laplace’s Equation in Nonsmooth Domains. In M. Costabel, M. Dauge, and S. Nicaise, editors, Boundary Value Problems and Integral Equations in Nonsmooth Domains, New York, 1995. Marcel Dekker.Google Scholar
- C. Lage. Software Development for Boundary Element Mehtods: Analysis and Design of Efficient Techniques (in German). PhD thesis, Lehrstuhl Prakt. Math., Universität Kiel, 1995.Google Scholar
- M. Maischak and E. Stephan. The hp-Version of the Boundary Element Method in R3 — the Basic Approximation Results. Math. Meth. Appl. Sci, to appear, 1996.Google Scholar
- S. Sauter. Cubature Techniques for 3-d Galerkin BEM. In W. Hackbusch and G. Wittum, editors, BEM: Implementation and Analysis of Advanced Algorithms. Vieweg Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- S. A. Sauter and A. Krapp. On the Effect of Numerical Integration in the Galerkin Boundary Element Method. Technical Report 95–4, Lehrstuhl Praktische Mathematik, Universität Kiel, Germany, 1995, to appear in Numer. Math.Google Scholar
- S. A. Sauter and C. Schwab. Quadrature for hp-Galerkin BEM in 3-d. Technical Report 96–02, Seminar for Appl. Math., ETH Zürich, March 1996.Google Scholar