Computational Regulation of Medical Devices in PSOA RuleML
- 487 Downloads
The registration and marketability of medical devices in Europe is governed by the Regulation (EU) 2017/745 and by guidelines published in terms thereof. This work focuses on formalizing the rules for risk-based classification of medical devices as well as the conformity assessment options for each class in Positional-Slotted Object-Applicative (PSOA) RuleML. We tested this open-source knowledge base by querying it in the open-source PSOATransRun system. The aim of this formalization is to create a computational guideline to assist stakeholders.
We thank Dr. Gen Zou (UNB) for realizing PSOATransRun and for his early comments on this work. Moreover, we thank Dr. Vasileios Aravantinos (Council of State of Greece) for his hints on the expressiveness, interpretability and accuracy of Medical Devices Rules.
- 1.European Parliament: European Parliament. Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 April 2017 on medical devices. Official Journal of the European Union L 117 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Djedidi, R., Aufaure, M.: Medical domain ontology construction approach: a basis for medical decision support. In: Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS 2007), vol. 44, pp. 509–511 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Rector, A., Rogers, J.: Ontological and practical issues in using a description logic to represent medical concept systems: experience from GALEN. In: Barahona, P., Bry, F., Franconi, E., Henze, N., Sattler, U. (eds.) Reasoning Web 2006. LNCS, vol. 4126, pp. 197–231. Springer, Heidelberg (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/11837787_9CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Zou, G., Boley, H.: PSOA2Prolog: object-relational rule interoperation and implementation by translation from PSOA RuleML to ISO prolog. In: Bassiliades, N., Gottlob, G., Sadri, F., Paschke, A., Roman, D. (eds.) RuleML 2015. LNCS, vol. 9202, pp. 176–192. Springer, Cham (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-21542-6_12CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Zou, G., Boley, H., Wood, D., Lea, K.: Port clearance rules in PSOA RuleML: from controlled-english regulation to object-relational logic. In: Proceedings of the RuleML+RR 2017 Challenge, vol. 1875, CEUR, July 2017. http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1875/paper6.pdf
- 9.European Parliament: REGULATION (EU) 2017/2185 of 23 November 2017 on the list of codes and corresponding types of devices. Official Journal of the European Union L 309/7 (2017)Google Scholar