Nominal Coreference Resolution Using Semantic Knowledge
- 485 Downloads
Coreference Resolution is a challenging task, considering the required linguistic knowledge and the sophistication of language processing techniques involved. Several other Natural Language Processing tasks may benefit from it, such as named entities recognition, relation extraction between named entities, summarization, sentiment analysis, among others. We propose a process for nominal coreference resolution in Portuguese, based on syntactic-semantic linguistic rules. Such rule models have been efficiently applied in other languages, such as: English, Spanish and Galician. They are useful when we deal with less resourceful languages, since the lack of sample-rich corpora may prevent accurate learning. We combine different levels of linguistic processing, using semantic relations as support, in order to infer referential relations between mentions. The proposed approach is the first model for Portuguese coreference resolution which uses semantic knowledge.
KeywordsCoreference resolution Information extraction Semantics
The authors acknowledge the financial support of CNPq, CAPES and Fapergs.
- 1.Antonitsch, A., Figueira, A., Amaral, D., Fonseca, E., Vieira, R., Collovini, S.: Summ-it++: an enriched version of the summ-it corpus. In: Proceedings of 10th edition of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, Portorož, Slovenia (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Fonseca, E., Sesti, V., Collovini, S., Vieira, R., Leal, A.L., Quaresma, P.: Collective elaboration of a coreference annotated corpus for portuguese texts. In: Proceedings of II Workshop on Evaluation of Human Language Technologies for Iberian Languages, vol. 1881, pp. 68–82, Murcia, Spain (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Fonseca, E.B.: Resolução de correferências em língua portuguesa: pessoa, local e organização, Dissertação de Mestrado, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Fonseca, E.B., Sesti, V., Antonitsch, A., Vanin, A.A., Vieira, R.: Corp - uma abordagem baseada em regras e conhecimento semântico para a resolução de correferências. Linguamatica 9(1), 3–18 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Garcia, M., Gamallo, P.: An entity-centric coreference resolution system for person entities with rich linguistic information. In: Proceedings of 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, pp. 741–752, Dublin, Ireland (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Garcia, M., Gamallo, P.: Multilingual corpora with coreferential annotation of person entities. In: Proceedings of the 9th Edition of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, pp. 3229–3233, Reykjavik, Iceland (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Hou, Y., Markert, K., Strube, M.: A rule-based system for unrestricted bridging resolution: recognizing bridging anaphora and finding links to antecedents. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, pp. 2082–2093, Doha, Qatar (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Pradhan, S., Ramshaw, L., Marcus, M., Palmer, M., Weischedel, R., Xue, N.: Conll-2011 shared task: modeling unrestricted coreference in ontonotes. In: Proceedings of the Fifteenth Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning: Shared Task, pp. 1–27, Portland, Oregon (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Rahman, A., Ng, V.: Coreference resolution with world knowledge. In: Proceedings of the 49th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, pp. 814–824, Portland, Oregon, USA (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.da Silva, J.F.: Resolução de correferência em múltiplos documentos utilizando aprendizado não supervisionado, Dissertação de Mestrado, Universidade de São Paulo (2011)Google Scholar