Software Defined Networks and Data Distribution Service as Key Features for the 5G Control Plane
- 319 Downloads
The latency and flexible requirements of the 5G network are challenging telecommunication operators to have a more flexible, scalable, faster and programmable architecture. To solve this problem, this paper proposes a hybrid hierarchical set of Software Defined Networks (SDN) controllers as the control plane for 5G networks. The architecture is based on a federation of hierarchically-superior controllers which use Data Distribution Service (DDS) to communicate among each other and coordinate multiple sub-network controllers.
KeywordsSDN 5G Area controller Global controller DDS
This work has been supported by the Ministerio de Economia y Competitividad of the Spanish Government under the projects TEC2016-76795-C6-1-R and AEI/FEDER, UE.
- 1.Tootoonchian, A., Ganjali, Y.: Hyperflow: A distributed control plane for OpenFlow. In: Proceedings of the 2010 internet network management conference on Research on enterprise networking. (2010) 3Google Scholar
- 2.Koponen, T., et al.: Onix: A distributed control platform for large-scale production networks. OSDI. 10, 1–6 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Fu, Y., et al.: Orion: A hybrid hierarchical control plane of software-defined networking for large-scale networks. In: Network Protocols (ICNP), 2014 IEEE 22nd International Conference on, IEEE (2014) 569–576Google Scholar
- 5.Bertaux, L., Hakiri, A., Medjiah, S., Berthou, P., Abdellatif, S.: A DDS/SDN based communication system for efficient support of dynamic distributed real-time applications. In: Distributed Simulation and Real Time Applications (DS-RT), 2014 IEEE/ACM 18th International Symposium on, IEEE (2014) 77–84Google Scholar
- 6.Choi, H.Y., King, A.L., Lee, I.: Making DDS really real-time with openflow. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Embedded Software, ACM (2016) 4Google Scholar
- 7.3GPP: TS 23.501- System Architecture for the 5G System; Stage 2. http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/23_series/23.501/23501-f00.zip [Online; accessed 01-January-2017]