Junction Traffic Prediction, Using Adjacent Junction Traffic Data, Based on Neural Networks
- 229 Downloads
The paper discusses the problem of substitution of traffic data, used for prediction of traffic flows at a junction, with data from an adjacent junction. Such a case arises when the measuring resources at the junction malfunction. Neural networks based approach is used for forecasting traffic flows. Solutions incorporating a multilayer perceptron (MLP) network, a cascade forward network (CFN) and a deep learning network (DLN) with autoencoders are used for evaluating the prediction performance. The elaborated designs are validated using a data set of traffic flow measurements comprising over 15 thousand measurements collected in a period of over six months. Results prove that substituting data from an adjacent junction is justified for predicting traffic flows in case of malfunctioning measuring resources.
KeywordsNeural network structure Traffic flow prediction Intelligent transport system
The authors wish to thank ZIR-SSR Bytom for providing video detector data from the Traffic Control Centre Gliwice site.
- 3.Pamuła, T.: Traffic flow analysis based on the real data using neural networks. In: Mikulski, J. (ed.) Telematics in the Transport Environment. Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 329, pp. 364–371. Springer, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Xiaoying, L.: Prediction of traffic flow base on neural network. In: Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, ICICTA 2009, pp. 374–377 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Król, A.: The application of the artificial intelligence methods for planning of the development of the transportation network. In: Rafalski, L., Zofka, A. (eds.) 6th Transport Research Arena, TRA 2016. Transp. Res. Procedia 14, 4532–4541. Elsevier (2016). ISSN 2352-1465Google Scholar
- 10.Centiner, B.G., Sari, M., Borat, O.: A neural network based traffic-flow prediction model. Math. Comput. Appl. 15, 269–278 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Lorenzo, M., Matteo, M.: OD matrices network estimation from link counts by neural networks. J. Transp. Syst. Eng. Inf. Technol. 13(4), 84–92 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Lv, Y., Duan, Y., Kang, W., Li, Z., Wang, F.Y.: Traffic flow prediction with big data: a deep learning approach. IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 16(2), 865–873 (2015)Google Scholar