Sharing Economy Perspectives in the Tourism Accommodation Sector
Tourism stakeholders of both the demand and supply side have found themselves involved in a furious debate about the present and future shape of the new provocative and hybrid economic activity of the sharing economy, and its counterpart in the tourism sector, where sharing economy has managed to bypass the established distribution channels and disrupt the traditional structure of the tourism business. This work attempts to: elaborate on the types and presence of the sharing economy in the tourism accommodation sector, and the disruptive innovation nature of it; analyse developments with regards to the sharing economy framework in the Greek tourism industry; and elaborate on the potential impacts of shared economy in tourism, while also discussing potential future implications of this trends.
KeywordsSharing economy Disruptive innovation Tourism distribution channels Greece Airbnb
- Belk, R. (2014). You are what you can access—sharing and collaborative consumption online. Journal of Business Research, 67(8), 1595–1600 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.10.001.
- Casadesus-Masanell, R. & Zhu, F. (2013). Business model innovation and competitive imitation: the case of sponsor-based business models. Strategic Management Journal, 34(4), 464–482 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2022.
- Christensen, M. C. (1997). The innovator’s dilemma—When new technologies cause great firms to fail. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Christensen, M. C., & Overdorf, M. (2000). Meeting the challenge of disruptive change. Harvard Business Review, 78(2), 66–76.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C. M., Raynor, E. M. & McDonald, R. (2015). What is disruptive innovation? Harvard Business Review, 44–53.Google Scholar
- Davidson, M. N., & Infranca, J. J. (2016). The sharing economy as an urban phenomenon. Yale Law and Policy Review, 34(2), 215–279. https://ylpr.yale.edu/sites/default/files/YLPR/davidson_infranca_article22.pdf.
- Dewald, J., & Bowen, F. (2010). Storm clouds and silver linings—responding to disruptive innovations through cognitive resilience. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 34(1), 197–218 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00312.x.
- Dierig, C. (2015). Chinesen kopieren die Motel-One-Methode. September 29, 2015. Die Welt Zeitung. https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article147006377/Chinesen-kopieren-die-Motel-One-Methode.html. Accessed 20 March 2017.
- Godelnik, R. (2017). Millennials and the sharing economy—lessons from a ‘buy nothing new, share everything month’ project. Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, 23, 40–52 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eist.2017.02.002.
- Greek Travel Pages (GTP) (2015). The ‘sharing economy’ in tourism deprives Greece of millions of Euros. GTP headlines, Published at October, 8. http://news.gtp.gr/2015/10/08/sharing-economy-tourism-deprives-greecemillions/. Accessed 10 September 2017.
- Gruszka, K. (2017). Framing the collaborative economy—voices of contestation. Environmental Innovation and Societal Transformations, 23, 92–104 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eist.2016.09.002.
- Guttentag, D. (2015). Airbnb—disruptive innovation and the rise of an informal tourism accommodation sector. Current issues in Tourism, 18(12), 1192–1217 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1080/13683500.2013.827159.
- Heinrichs, H. (2013). Sharing economy—a potential new pathway to sustainability. Gaia, 22(4), 228–231 (2013). https://doi.org/10.14512/gaia.22.4.5.
- Hellenic Chamber of Hotels. (2015). Sharing economy and the Greek tourism and hospitality sector. Athens: Hellenic Chamber of Hotels.Google Scholar
- Hinojosa, V. (2014). Room Mate crea nuevo producto turístico: vivienda vacacional con servicios adicionales. November 29, 2017, Hoseltur. https://www.hosteltur.com/173190_room-mate-crea-nuevo-producto-turistico-vivienda-vacacional-servicios-adicionales.html. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- Rodríguez Largo, V. (2017). Así resolvió Ámsterdam el rompecabezas de Airbnb. Huffpost, Published at September, 5. http://www.huffingtonpost.es/2015/08/09/amsterdam-airbnb_n_7923884.html.
- Marshall, P. (2015). The sharing economy. SAGE Business Researcher, SAGE Publishing, Inc., 1–23. https://doi.org/10.1177/2374556815601429.
- Marx, P. (2012). You’re welcome—Couch-surfing the globe. The New Yorker, 16 April 2012. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/04/16/youre-welcome. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Miller, S. (2015). First principles for regulating the sharing economy. Harvard Journal on Legislation, 53, 149–150. http://harvardjol.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/HLL107_crop.pdf. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- Stokes, K., Clarence, E., Anderson, L., & Rinne, A. (2014). Making sense of the UK collaborative economy. NESTA and Collaborative Lab. https://media.nesta.org.uk/documents/making_sense_of_the_uk_collaborative_economy_14.pdf
- OECD (2016), Policies for the tourism sharing economy. In OECD Tourism Trends and Policies 2016 (pp. 89–120), Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris: OECD Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1787/tour-2016-7-en.
- Parker, G., Van Alstyne, M. and Jiang, X. (2016), Platform ecosystems: How developers invert the firm. MIT Initiative on the Digital Economy. http://ide.mit.edu/sites/default/files/publications/Platform%20Ecosystems-%20How%20Developers%20Invert%20the%20Frim.pdf. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Rinne, A. (2015). 2015—The year of the sharing economy for cities?” World Economic Forum, Published at January 21. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/01/2015-the-year-of-the-sharing-economy-for-cities/. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- Rozou, A. (2017). Greek ‘sharing economy’ accommodates tourists. Rozou and Associates Law Firm, Publishes at January 19. https://www.nomikosodigos.info/en/articles/871-greek-sharing-economy-accommodates-tourists. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- Schumpeter, J. A. (1994). Capitalism, socialism and democracy. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Selloni, D. (2017). New forms of economies—Sharing economy, collaborative consumption, peer-to-peer economy. In D. Selloni (Ed.), CoDesign for Public-Interest Services (pp. 15–26), ISBN 978-3-319-53243-1. Springer International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ta Nea (2016). Koukaki is 5th in Airbnb list with the best neighborhoods in the world (in Greek). Ta Nea newspaper, Published at January 15. http://www.tanea.gr/news/greece/article/5326545/pempto-to-koykaki-sthn-listathsairbnb-me-tis-kalyteres-geitonies-toy-kosmoy. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- Toeniskoetter, C. (2013). Hospitality exchange—overcoming safety, trust, and gender concerns in the couchsurfing community. Department of Anthropology, University of Michigan—Ann Arbor. https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/102763/ctoenis.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- Vorn Consulting, (2016). Hotels vs. Airbnb. Der Kampf ums beste Erlebnis hat begonnen. July, 28, 2017 http://blog.vornconsulting.com/tag/sharing-economy/. Retrieved 3 September 2017.