Content Unification: A Trend Reshaping the iTV Ecosystem
Changes in the viewer’s habits, such as getting linear and nonlinear content, anytime and anywhere, are reshaping the behaviors of watching TV. In this context, many commercial stakeholders, of both Managed Operated Networks (MON) and Over-the-Top solutions (OTT), have been offering new content unification features supported by innovative user interfaces, including natural language interaction, to turn the TV viewing experience more pleasurable and engaging. Beyond the providers’ commercial interests of preserving their walled gardens, the need for retention of customers is pushing channels, operators and OTT players to match each other’s offers. Solutions are multiplying on leading services towards a personalized experience that aggregates several sources of content in the same interface, enriched with emergent interaction models such as voice control. Such industry trends, paired with empirical academic research, support the development of new unification-based UI solutions, that promise to have a central role in the future of the TV.
KeywordsiTV industry Unification User interface OTT Voice interaction
This paper is a result of the CHIC – Cooperative Holistic for Internet and Content (grant agreement number 24498), funded by COMPETE 2020 and Portugal 2020 through the European Regional Development Fund (FEDER).
- 2.Nielsen-Company: Screen wars: The battle for eye space in a TV-everywhere world, New York (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Ericsson-Consumerlab: TV and Media 2017: A consumer-driven future of media, Stockholm (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Silva, T., Almeida, P., Jorge, A., Oliveira, E.: Interaction paradigms on iTV: a survey towards the future of television. In: The 9th International Multi-conference on Complexity, Informatics and Cybernetics. IMCIC, Orlando (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Abreu, J., Almeida, P., Varsori, E., Fernandes, S.: Interactive television UI : industry trends and disruptive design approaches. In: Proceedings of 6th Iberoamerican Conference on Applications and Usability for Interactive TV, pp. 213–224. UA Editora, Aveiro (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Almeida, P., Jorge, A., Fernandes, S., Oliveira, E.: Content unification in iTV to enhance user experience: the UltraTV project. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video - TVX 2018. ACM, Seoul (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Almeida, P., et al.: UltraTV: an iTV content unification prototype. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video - TVX 2018. ACM, Seoul (2018)Google Scholar