An iTV Prototype for Content Unification
This paper addresses an iTV prototype able to offer contents from different sources over a unique and common user interface. The prototype was developed under the UltraTV project, formed by a consortium that gathers the industry and the academy to develop a new digital entertainment approach to the iTV ecosystem. The high-fidelity prototype runs on an Android set-top box and combines TV programs with Over-the-top (OTT) videos (from YouTube, Facebook Videos, and Netflix). The system focuses on unification, recommendation and profiling features, able to accommodate the demands of younger viewers. Adopting a User-Centered Design methodology, the development of the prototype benefited from continuous feedback obtained on different validation phases, namely a review by experts, laboratory tests, and a field trial.
KeywordsUnification Interactive TV Personalization UX Usability
This paper is a result of the UltraTV - UltraHD TV Application Ecosystem project (grant agreement no. 17738), funded by COMPETE 2020, Portugal 2020 and the European Union through the European Regional Development Fund (FEDER).
- 1.Abreu, J., Almeida, P., Silva, T., Velhinho, A., Fernandes, S.: Using experts review to validate an iTV UI for the unification of contents. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Multi-Conference on Society, Cybernetics and Informatics (IMSCI 2018). Springer (2018)Google Scholar
- 2.Almeida, P., et al.: Iterative user experience evaluation of a user interface for the unification of TV contents. In: Abásolo, M.J., Abreu, J., Almeida, P., Silva, T. (eds.) jAUTI 2017. CCIS, vol. 813, pp. 44–57. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-90170-1_4CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Almeida, P., Abreu, J., Silva, T., et al.: UltraTV: an iTV content unification prototype. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video - TVX 2018. ACM (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Almeida, P., de Abreu, J.F., Oliveira, E., Velhinho, A.: Expert evaluation of a user interface for the unification of TV contents. In: Proceedings of the 6th Iberoamerican Conference on Applications and Usability of Interactive TV - jAUTI 2017, pp. 59–70. Universidade de Aveiro (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Almeida, P., Jorge, A., Fernandes, S., Oliveira, E.: Content unification in iTV to enhance user experience: the UltraTV project. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video - TVX 2018. ACM (2018)Google Scholar