Games and Health Communication: Brazilian Players’ Point of View
This chapter discusses how online digital games could address shortcomings in traditional health communication strategies, namely, their centralized production, normative tone, and unidirectional diffusion, without space for dialogue with the population. Games could be used to present health content in attractive formats, fostering an active stance in seeking such content and even enhancing population’s social participation. To this end, we analyze theoretical perspectives of meaning production in games like the concepts of serious games, procedural rhetoric, and games as participation. Our research methods include interviews with 22 players of a popular online digital game in order to draw conclusions about their views about the potential of digital games to communicate health themes and illustrate collective health issues. The research results allow us to conclude that participating in games and the fact that games generally bring participants together are decisive elements of the potential digital games for health.
KeywordsHealth communication Digital games Serious games Participation
- Aarseth, Espen. 2003. Playing research: Methodological approaches to game analysis. http://www.bendevane.com/VTA2012/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/02.GameApproaches2.pdf. Accessed 7 June 2018.
- Araujo, Inesita S., Janine M. Cardoso, and R. Murtinho. 2009. A comunicação no Sistema Único de Saúde: cenários e tendências. Revista Latinoamericana de Ciencias de la Comunicación 6: 104–115.Google Scholar
- Bogost, Ian. 2007. Persuasive games: The expressive power of videogames. Cambridge: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Brazilian Internet Steering Committee. 2010. Survey on the use of information and communication technologies in Brazil – ICT LANHOUSES. São Paulo: Brazilian Internet Steering Committee.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011. Pesquisa TIC Crianças 2010: Pesquisa sobre o uso das Tecnologias de Informação e Comunicação no Brasil. São Paulo: CGI.Google Scholar
- Campbell, Colin. 2015. Facing extreme abuse, Skyrim modders defend paid work. Polygon. https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/27/8504939/facing-extreme-abuse-skyrim-modders-defend-paid-work. Accessed 22 June 2017.
- Cardoso, Janine, and Katia Lerner. 2009. Young people and the discourse on AIDS: From the centrality of context to the appropriation of sense. RECIIS 3: 66–74.Google Scholar
- Chalk, Andy. 2015. Fake “protest mods” hit the Steam Workshop. PCGamer. http://www.pcgamer.com/fake-protest-mods-hit-the-steam-workshop/. Accessed 22 June 2017.
- Ferrari, Simon. 2010. The judgement of procedural rhetoric. Master’s thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta.Google Scholar
- Gee, James P., and David W. Shaffer. 2005. Before every child is left behind: How epistemic games can solve the coming crisis in education. Madison: Wisconsin Center for Education Research.Google Scholar
- Glas, René. 2010. Games of stake: Control, agency and ownership in World of Warcraft. PhD diss., University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Grayson, Nathan. 2015. Steam’s most popular Skyrim mod is a protest against paid mods. Kotaku. http://steamed.kotaku.com/steams-most-popular-skyrim-mod-is-a-protest-against-pai-1700486550. Accessed 22 June 2017.
- Huizinga, Johan. 1955. Homo ludens: A study of the play-element in culture. Boston: The Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, Henry, et al. 2006. Confronting the challenges of participatory culture: Media education for the 21st century. Cambridge: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Johnston, Casey. 2012. “I am no man”: For Zelda-playing daughter, dad gives Link a sex change. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/i-am-no-man-for-zelda-playing-daughter-dad-gives-link-a-sex-change/. Accessed 20 Nov 2012.
- Leasca, Stacey. 2012. SPARX: New video game designed to help combat teen depression. Globalpost. http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/health/120731/sparx-new-video-game-designed-help-combat-teen-depression. Accessed 4 Mar 2013.
- Merry, Sally N., Karolina Stasiak, Matthew Shepherd, Chris Frampton, Theresa Fleming, and Mathijs Lucassen. 2012. The effectiveness of SPARX, a computerised self help intervention for adolescents seeking help for depression: Randomised controlled non-inferiority trial. BMJ 344: e2598. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e2598.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Michael, David, and Sande Chen. 2006. Serious games: Games that educate, train, and inform. Boston: Thomson Course Technology.Google Scholar
- Nardi, Bonnie, and Justin Harris. 2006. Strangers and friends: Collaborative play in World of Warcraft.In 20th anniversary conference on computer supported cooperative work (CSCW ‘06), Alberta.Google Scholar
- Newzoo. 2011. Gap closing between emerging and western game markets. https://newzoo.com/about/press/press-releases/gap-closing-between-emerging-and-western-games-markets-globalcollect-version/. Accessed 1 June 2011.
- Pesquisa Game Brasil – 2017. 2017. Pesquisa Game Brasil 2017: o perfil do gamer brasileiro. https://www.pesquisagamebrasil.com.br/. Accessed 18 June 2018.
- Prensky, Marc. 2004. Digital game-based learning. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Raessens, Joost. 2005. Computer games as participatory media culture. In Handbook of computer game studies, ed. J. Raessens and J. Goldstein, 373–389. Cambridge: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. A taste of life as a refugee: How serious games frame refugee issues. In Changes in Museum practice: New media, refugees and participation, ed. H.L. Skartveit and K. Goodnow, 94–105. New York/Oxford: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Ritterfeld, Ute, Michael Cody, and Peter Vorderer, eds. 2009. Serious games: Mechanisms and effects. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Santos, Débora. 2010. Casos de Aids entre jovens devem aumentar, diz Ministério da Saúde. Globo.com. http://g1.globo.com/ciencia-e-saude/noticia/2010/12/casos-de-aids-entre-jovens-devem-aumentar-diz-ministerio-da-saude.html. Accessed 3 Feb 2012.
- Schäfer, M. T. 2008. Bastard Culture! User participation and the extension of cultural industries. PhD diss., Utrecht University, Utrecht.Google Scholar
- Sicart, Miguel. 2012. Against procedurality game studies. The International Journal of Computer Game Research 11.Google Scholar
- Vasconcellos, Marcelo. S. 2013. Comunicação e saúde em jogo: os video games como estratégia de promoção da saúde. PhD diss., Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro.Google Scholar
- Vasconcellos, Marcelo S., Flávia G. Carvalho, and Inesita S. Araujo. 2017. Understanding games as participation: An analytical model. Cibertextualidades 8: 107–118.Google Scholar
- VG247. 2013. Acti-Blizz Q4 FY13: Digital nets $1.54B, WoW subs slide. VG247. http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/07/activision-blizzard-q4-fy13-net-revenues-of-4-86-billion/. Accessed 14 Feb 2013.