The Internet and Health in Brazil: Trends and Challenges
New information and communication technologies are increasingly present in our daily lives. Change occurred very fast. The sensation is that we live in another world. This new digital reality is where all or almost all economic, social, political, and cultural activities develop. They can be everywhere at the same time in people’s everyday lives. However, digital exclusion and privacy on the Internet are some of the challenges that compromise the initial design of new information and communication technologies as universal, free, and secure by their very nature. In the field of health, the presence of the Internet transcends the technological realm. It is an emerging field characterized by the intersection of different spheres, practices, and knowledge (such as medical informatics), public health, and business. It can be considered a state of mind, a way of thinking, and an attitude that can improve health care. This chapter looks at where Brazil stands in this process, especially in the health field. It also presents the parts in which this book is divided.
KeywordsInternet Health Brazil e-health care Health information Digital divide
- Castells, Manuel. 2015. Networks of outrage and hope: Social movements in the internet age. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Etcoff, Nancy. 2018. Motorola phone-life balance study: Data report by generations. https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2018-02/motorola-phone-life-balance-study-topline-2018-02-21.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2018.
- Intervozes – Coletivo Brasil de Comunicação Social. Media Ownership Monitor – Brazil. 2018. http://brazil.mom-rsf.org/en/. Accessed 16 June 2018.
- ITU – International Telecommunication Union. 2018. ICTs for a Sustainable World #ICT4SDG. https://www.itu.int/en/sustainable-world/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed 26 June 2018.
- LaISS – Laboratório Internet, Saúde e Sociedade. 2018. Avaliação de Sites – Resultados. http://laiss.ensp.fiocruz.br/pesquisa/buscar. Accessed 26 June 2018.
- Statista. 2018. Number of mobile phone users worldwide from 2015 to 2020 (in billions). https://www.statista.com/statistics/274774/forecast-of-mobile-phone-users-worldwide/. Accessed 26 June 2018.
- Telebrasil. 2018. Telebrasil – Associação Brasileira de Telecomunicações. http://www.telebrasil.org.br/. Accessed 26 June 2018.