Prediction of Autism Severity Level in Bangladesh Using Fuzzy Logic: FIS and ANFIS
A type of neurodevelopment disorder also known as autism is currently more visible than before among the people of Bangladesh. Some research works could be found on autism but very few papers are guided to measure the severity level. Hence, this research focuses on attaining the severity level of autism using fuzzy methods like Mamdani Fuzzy Inference System (MAMFIS) and Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System (ANFIS). A survey has been conducted on autistic children to find the severity level. The levels used in this research are low, medium, high. A comparative study of those two methods has been reported in this paper. By using ANFIS we get better accuracy compared to the FIS model.
KeywordsAutism; ASD Fuzzy Severity Fuzzification Rule generation Defuzzification FIS ANFIS Triangular function
First, we would like to thank Proyash, Institute of Special Education, Alokito Shishu, Seher Autism Center for helping us on data collection. We want to thank psychiatrist from Proyash for guiding us while making the rule set. Finally, we want to thank all the teachers who had participated in the survey.
- 1.Autism awareness in Bangladesh and its challenges: The Independent, 11 April 2016. http://www.theindependentbd.com. Accessed 1 May 2018
- 2.Soke, G.N., Rosenberg, S.A., Hamman, R.F., Fingerlin, T., Robinson, C., Carpenter, L., Giarelli, E., Lee, L.-C., Wiggins, L.D., Durkin, M.S., Diguiseppi, C.: Brief report: prevalence of self-injurious behaviors among children with autism spectrum disorder—a population-based study. J. Autism Dev. Disord. 46(11), 3607–3614 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.What Are the Symptoms of Autism? WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/symptoms-of-autism. Accessed 06 May 2018
- 5.Tsoukalas, L.H., Uhrig, R.E.: Fuzzy and neural approaches in engineering. Wiley, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.S. U. Ahmed: Situation analysis of autistic children. The Independent, 17 April 2016. http://www.theindependentbd.com. Accessed 1 May 2018
- 7.What Are the Treatments for Autism? WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/autism-treatment-overview. Accessed: 08 May 2018
- 8.Pervin, M.M.: Autism: The role of the family. The Daily Star, 5 April 2016. http://www.thedailystar.net. Accessed 4 May 2018
- 9.Farsi, A.A., Doctor, F., Petrovic, D., Chandran, S., Karyotis, C.: Interval valued data enhanced fuzzy cognitive maps: torwards an appraoch for Autism deduction in Toddlers. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE) (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Fredo, A.R.J., Kavitha, G., Ramakrishnan, S.: Analysis of sub-cortical regions in cognitive processing using fuzzy c-means clustering and geometrical measure in autistic MR images. In: 2014 40th Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference (NEBEC) (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Isa, N.R.M., Yusoff, M., Khalid, N.E., Tahir, N., Nikmat, A.W.B.: Autism severity level detection using fuzzy expert system. In: 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Robotics and Manufacturing Automation (ROMA) (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Yilmaz, A., Ayan, K., Adak, E.: Risk analysis in cancer disease by using fuzzy logic. In: 2011 Annual Meeting of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Jassbi, J.J., Serra, P.J.A., Ribeiro, R.A., Donati, A.: A comparison of mandani and sugeno inference systems for a space fault detection application. In: 2006 World Automation Congress (2006)Google Scholar