Incidents and Enforcement Trends
- 146 Downloads
This chapter represents a courageous attempt to compare the British and Italian occupational health and safety (OHS) incident trends from the 1980s to the mid-2000s. It compares incident trends per active worker and among main economic sectors. This comparative analysis is challenging due to the fundamental difference in the methods adopted to record OHS incidents in Britain and Italy, and the changes that have occurred in the methods used to classify incidents, worker numbers and economic sectors. The chapter also analyses the available data on the enforcement activities conducted by British and Italian OHS enforcement institutions. The chapter also attempts to critically account for the mis- and under-reporting of these crimes and the wrong social and political perceptions that this causes.
KeywordsEnforcement Trends Incidentsincidents Enforcement Activities Enforcement Institutions Dangerous Occurrences Regulations
- Bibbings, R. (2014). Twenty four arguments for increased action by the Health and Safety Commission and Executive. Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents [Online]. Available from: http://www.rospa.com/drivertraining/morr/info/24arguments.pdf. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- Centre for Occupational and Environmental Health. (2013). The health and occupation research network [Online]. Available from: http://www.population-health.manchester.ac.uk/epidemiology/COEH/research/thor/. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- Coordinamento Tecnico Interregionale. (2011). Attività delle regioni e delle province autonome per la prevenzione nei luoghi di lavoro, elaborazione PREO as reported by Conferenza delle regioni e delle provincie autonome [Online]. Available from: http://www.regione.emilia-romagna.it/sicurezza-nei-luoghi-di-lavoro/coordinamento/altre-strutture-e-documenti-di-riferimento/piani-nazionali-e-regionali. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- Fooks, G., Bergman D., & Rigby, B. (2007). International comparison of (a) techniques used by state bodies to obtain compliance with health and safety law and accountability for administrative and criminal offences and (b) sentences for criminal offences. Health and Safety Executive [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr607.htm. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- Great Britain. (2013). Reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences regulation 2013. N. 1471. Norwich: The Stationary Office [Online]. Available from: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1471/contents/made. Accessed 23 Mar 2017.
- HSE. (2003). Driving at work, managing work-related road safety [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg382.pdf. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- HSE. (2012a). HSE annual report and accounts 2011/2012 [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/reports/index.htm. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- HSE. (2012b). Historical picture: Trends in work-related injuries and ill health since the introduction of the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA) 1974 [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/history/historical-picture.pdf Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- HSE. (2013a). Data source [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/sources.htm#employment. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- HSE. (2013b) Enforcement management model [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/emm.pdf. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- HSE. (2013c). National local authority enforcement code health and safety at work England, Scotland & Wales [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/national-la-code.pdf. Accessed 23 Feb 2018.
- HSE. (2013d). Reporting accidents and incidents at work: A brief guide to the reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg453.pdf. Accessed 23 Mar 2017.
- HSE. (2013e). Health and Safety Executive statistics 2009/10 [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/overall/hssh0910.pdf?pdf=hssh0910. Accessed 10 Apr 2010.
- HSE. (2017). Health and safety at work summary statistics for Great Britain 2017 [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/overall/hssh1617.pdf. Accessed 10 Apr 2017.
- HSE. (2018). Is health surveillance required in my workplace? [Online]. Available from: http://www.hse.gov.uk/health-surveillance/requirement/index.htm. Accessed 23 Mar 2018.
- INAIL. (2003). Bilancio Consuntivo 2002 [Online]. Available from: https://www.inail.it/cs/internet/docs/1_bil-cons-2002-pdf.pdf. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- INAIL. (2007). Bilancio Consuntivo 2006 [Online]. Available from: https://www.inail.it/cs/internet/docs/bilancio-cons-2006-pdf.pdf. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- INAIL. (2014). Bilancio Consuntivo 2013 [Online]. Available from: https://www.inail.it/cs/internet/docs/all-bilancio-consuntivo-2013.pdf. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- INAIL. (2016). Bilancio Consuntivo 2015 [Online]. Available from: https://www.inail.it/cs/internet/docs/ammt-bilancio-consuntivo-2015.pdf. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- INAIL. (2017). Bilancio Previsione 2017 [Online]. Available from: https://www.inail.it/cs/internet/docs/ammt-bilancio-previsione-2017.pdf. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- Johnson, J. (2010, November). Beating fatigue. RoSPA Occupational Safety & Health Journal, 40(11), 27–30.Google Scholar
- Regione Friuli-Venezia Giulia. (2010). Attività UOPSAL, ASS Friuli Venezia Giulia 2000–2010 [Online]. Avialable from: http://www.regione.fvg.it/rafvg/export/sites/default/RAFVG/salute-sociale/organizzazione-salute-tutela-sociale/FOGLIA29/allegati/AttivitaSPSAL00-10xcomart27xsito.ppt. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- Repubblica Italiana. (1965). Decreto Del Presidente Della Repubblica n. 1124, 30 giugno 1965. Testo unico delle disposizioni per l’assicurazione obbligatoria contro gli infortuni sul lavoro e le malattie professionali. Gazzetta Ufficiale n.257 del 13 ottobre 1965, Supplemento Ordinario N. 24.Google Scholar
- Repubblica Italiana. (2015). Decreto Legislativo 4 marzo 2015, n. 22 Disposizioni per il riordino della normativa in materia di ammortizzatori sociali in caso di disoccupazione involontaria e di ricollocazione dei lavoratori disoccupati, in attuazione della legge 183/2014. Pubblicato nella Gazz. Uff. 6 Marzo 2015, n. 54, S.O. [Online]. Available from: http://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2015/3/6/15G00036/sg. Accessed 30 Jan 2018.
- Tombs, S. (2003). Accounting for safety crimes? HSE, enforcement data and the (shifting) politics of access. Radical Statistics, 81(Spring), 51–61.Google Scholar
- Tombs, S., & Whyte, D. (2008). A crisis of enforcement: The decriminalisation of death and injury at work. London: Centre for Crime and Justice Studies, 1746–6938 [Online]. Available from: http://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/sites/crimeandjustice.org.uk/files/crisisenforcementweb.pdf. Accessed 25 Aug 2014.
- Tombs, S., & Whyte, D. (2010). Regulatory surrender: death, injury and the non-enforcement of law. Liverpool: Institute of Employment Rights.Google Scholar
- UK Statistics Authority. (2013, September). Assessment of compliance with the code of practice for official statistics. Statistics on health and safety at work (produced by the Health and Safety Executive). Assessment Report 261 [Online]. Available from: https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/archive/assessment/assessment/assessment-reports/assessment-report-261—statistics-on-health-and-safety-at-work.pdf. Accessed 10 Jan 2017.