Truth in English and Elsewhere: An Empirically-Informed Functionalism
Functionalism about truth, or alethic functionalism, is one of our most promising approaches to the study of truth. In this chapter, I chart a course for functionalist inquiry that centrally involves the empirical study of ordinary thought about truth. In doing so, I review some existing empirical data on the ways in which we think about truth and offer suggestions for future work on this issue. I also argue that some of our data lend support to two kinds of pluralism regarding ordinary thought about truth. These pluralist views, as I show, can be straightforwardly integrated into the broader functionalist framework. The main result of this integration is that some unexplored metaphysical views about truth become visible. To close the chapter, I briefly respond to one of the most serious objections to functionalism, due to Cory Wright
KeywordsAlethic functionalism Alethic pluralism Experimental philosophy Conceptual pluralism Ramsification Epistemic circularity Kwasi Wiredu Michael Lynch Cory Wright
- Alston, W. 2002. Truth: Concept and Property. In What Is Truth? ed. Schantz, 11–26. New York/Berlin: de Gruyter.Google Scholar
- ———. 2018. truth: A Concept Unlike Any Other. Synthese Special Issue Truth: Concept Meets Property, Wyatt, ed. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-017-1661-z.
- ———. 2017. The Objectivity of Truth, a Core Truism? Synthese Special Issue Truth: Concept Meets Property. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-017-1605-7.
- Bar-On, D., and K. Simmons. 2007. The Use of Force Against Deflationism: Assertion and Truth. In Truth and Speech Acts: Studies in the Philosophy of Language, ed. Greimann and Siegwart, 61–89. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bedu-Addo, J.T. 1985. Wiredu on Truth as Opinion and the Akan Language. In Philosophy in Africa: Trends and Perspectives, ed. Bodunrin, 68–90. Ile-Ife: University of Ife Press.Google Scholar
- Dzobo, N.K. 1992. Knowledge and Truth: Ewe and Akan Conceptions. In Person and Community: Ghanaian Philosophical Studies I, ed. Wiredu and Gyeke, 73–84. Washington, DC: The Council for Research in Values and Philosophy.Google Scholar
- Eklund, M. 2017. What Is Deflationism About Truth? Synthese Special Issue Truth: Concept Meets Property, Wyatt, ed. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-017-1557-y.
- Jackson, F. 1998. From Metaphysics to Ethics: A Defence of Conceptual Analysis. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Kwame, S. 2010. Nokware. In The Oxford Encyclopedia of African Thought, ed. F. Abiola Irele and B. Jeyifo. New York: Oxford University Press. Accessed at http://www.oxfordaasc.com/article/opr/t301/e275.
- ———. 1994. Reduction of Mind. In Companion to the Philosophy of Mind, ed. Guttenplan, 412–431. Malden: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Lynch, M. 2000. Alethic Pluralism and the Functionalist Theory of Truth. Acta Analytica 24: 195–214.Google Scholar
- ———. 2001. A Functionalist Theory of Truth. In Truth and Pluralism: Current Debates, ed. Nikolaj J.L.L. Pedersen and C.D. Wright, 42–68. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013. Three Questions for Truth Pluralism. In Truth and Pluralism: Current Debates, ed. Nikolaj J.L.L. Pedersen and C.D. Wright, 21–41. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Matthewson, L., and J. Glougie. Forthcoming. Justification and Truth: Evidence from Languages of the World. In Epistemology for the Rest of the World, ed. Stich, Mizumoto, and McCready. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Mizumoto, M. (ms) A Prolegomenon to the Cross-Linguistic Study of Truth.Google Scholar
- ———. 2018. Truth Predicates, Truth Bearers, and Their Variants. Synthese Special Issue Truth: Concept Meets Property. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-018-1814-8.
- Quine, W.V.O. 1948. On What There Is. Review of Metaphysics 2 (5): 21–36. Reprinted in From a Logical Point of View, 2nd Revised ed. Quine, 1–19. New York: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- ———. 1970. Philosophy of Logic. 2nd ed. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- ———. 1950. Truth. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society Supplementary 24: 129–156.Google Scholar
- Wiredu, K. 1985. The Concept of Truth in the Akan Language. In Philosophy in Africa: Trends and Perspectives, ed. Bodunrin, 43–54. Ile-Ife: University of Ife Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1987. Truth: The Correspondence Theory of Judgment. African Philosophical Inquiry 1 (1): 19–30.Google Scholar