Using Career Construction to Manage Career Choice-Related Transitions and Resolve Indecision: A Case Study
The chapter begins with a discussion of the link between career indecision (seen from a career construction point of view) and impending transformation. A change in viewpoint is discussed and a brief overview of research on career indecision is provided. Next, different conceptual frameworks that have been used in the past to investigate, interpret, and deal with the phenomenon of career indecision are elaborated briefly. In addition, key aspects of career construction that enable career counselors to help clients deal with career indecision are examined. The second part of the chapter is devoted to a case study that demonstrates the value of career construction counseling for a client battling with career indecision. It is concluded that this approach can help students in general deal with challenges experienced while they are studying.
I would like to thank the client for participating in the study and Tim Steward for editing the text.
- Adler, A. (1932). What life should mean to you. London, England: Allen & Unwin Ltd.Google Scholar
- Alheit, P., & Daussien, B. (1999, February). Biographicity as a basic resource of lifelong learning. Paper presented at the Second European Conference on Lifelong Learning, Bremen, Germany.Google Scholar
- Di Fabio, A., & Maree, J. G. (2013). Career construction and life design: Heralding a new beginning to career counseling in the 21st century. In A. Di Fabio & J. G. Maree (Eds.), Psychology of career counselling: New challenges for a new era (pp. 1–15). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science.Google Scholar
- Garcia, P. R., Restubog, S. L., Toledano, L. S., Tolentino, L. R., & Rafferty, A. E. (2012). Differential moderating effects of student-and parent-rated support in the relationship between learning goal orientation and career decision-making self-efficacy. Journal of Career Assessment, 20(1), 22–33.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hartung, P. J. (2011a). Career construction: Principles and practice. In K. Maree (Ed.), Shaping the story: A guide to facilitating narrative career counselling (pp. 103–120). Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense.Google Scholar
- Hartung, P. J. (2011b, August). Defining career services: Guidance, education, and counselling. American Psychological Association 119th annual meeting. Washington, DC, USA.Google Scholar
- Maree, J. G. (2015). Life themes and narratives. In P. J. Hartung, M. L. Savickas, & W. B. Walsh (Eds.), APA handbook of career intervention. Vol. 2: Applications (pp. 225–239). New York, NY: American Psychology Association. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/14439-017.
- Maree, J. G. (2016). Career construction as a way of resolving career indecision. South African Journal of Higher Education, 30(3), 5–13.Google Scholar
- Parsons, F. (2005). Choosing a vocation. Broken Arrow, OK: National Career Development Association.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2005). The theory and practice of career construction. In S. D. Brown & R. W. Lent (Eds.), Career development and counselling: Putting theory and research to work (pp. 42–70). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2009a). The role of values in careers: Meaning and mattering in Life Design. St Louis, MO, USA: Millennium Centre, University of St Louis.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2009b). Career-style counselling. In T. J. Sweeney (Ed.), Adlerian counselling and psychotherapy: A practitioner’s approach (5th ed., pp. 183–207). New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2010). Vocational counselling. In I. B. Weiner & W. E. Craighead (Eds.), Corsini’s encyclopedia of psychology (4th ed., pp. 1841–1844). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2011). Career counselling. Washington, DC: APA.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2013). The theory and practice of career construction. In S. D. Brown & R. W. Lent (Eds.), Career development and counselling: Putting theory and research to work (2nd ed., pp. 147–186). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2015a). Life-design counseling manual. Rootstown, OH: Author.Google Scholar
- Savickas, M. L. (2015b). Designing projects for career construction. In R. A. Young, J. F. Domene, & L. Valach (Eds.), Counseling and action: Toward life-enhancing work, relationships, and identity (pp. 13–31). New York: Springer Science + Business Media.Google Scholar
- Severy, L. E. (2006). What’s my story? Narrative intervention in career counseling. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.Google Scholar
- Winnicott, D. W. (1969). The use of an object and relating through identifications in playing and reality. London, England: Routledge.Google Scholar