Interdisciplinary Care Model: Pneumonia and Oral Health
This chapter provides an overview of classification, epidemiology, oral and systemic characterization of disease and symptomology, approaches to diagnosis and disease management across the spectrum of pneumonia subtypes. In addition, the evidence base supporting oral-systemic connections between oral diseases and pneumonia is explored and recommendations for dental diagnoses in the context of pneumonia are proposed. With respect to advances in the research arena, consideration of microbiota and pneumonia phenotypes is examined, as well as current approaches to risk assessment surrounding definition of relative risk for pneumonia susceptibility. Further, interdisciplinary medical-dental care delivery is explored including development of interdisciplinary care plans for patient management. Finally, current ontology surrounding pneumonia, technical implications and opportunities for achieving improved definitions of pneumonia subtype phenotypes and quality assessment in care delivery are briefly explored.
KeywordsPneumonia Oral health Integrated care Periodontal diseases Biomedical technology Risk factors Genomics Oral microbiome
- American Lung Association. Pneumonia. ©2017 American Lung Association. 2017. http://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/pneumonia/?referrer=https://www.google.com/. Accessed 5 May 2017.
- American Thoracic Society. Top 20 pneumonia facts-2015. 2015. https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/top-pneumonia-facts.pdf. Accessed 5 May 2017.
- Berry AM, Davidson PM, Nicholson L, Pasqualotto C, Rolls K. Consensus based clinical guideline for oral hygiene in the critically ill. Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2011;27(4):180–5.Google Scholar
- Bradley J, Byington C, Shah S, Alverson B, Carter E, Harrison C, et al. The management of community-acquired pneumonia in infants and children older than 3 months of age: Clinical Practice Guidelines by the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;53(7):e25–76.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bunting R. ICD-9 to ICD-10: documentation for pneumonia McKesson. 2014. http://www.mckesson.com/bps/blog/icd-9-to-icd-10%2D%2Ddocumentation-for-pneumonia/. Accessed 9 June 2017.
- Caruana R, Baluja S, Mitchell T. Using the future to sort outthe present: rankprop and multitask learning for medical risk evaluation. 1995. http://ri.cmu.edu/pub_files/pub1/caruana_r_1995_1/caruana_r_1995_1.pdf. Accessed 9 June 2017.
- Caruana R, Lou Y, Gehrke J, Koch P, Sturm M, Elhadad N. Intelligible models for healthcare: predicting pneumonia risk and hospital 30-day readmission. In: KDD ‘15 Proceedings of the 21th ACM SIGKDD international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining (Aug 10–13, 2015), Sydney, NSW, Australia. New York, NY: ACM; 2015. http://people.dbmi.columbia.edu/noemie/papers/15kdd.pdf. Accessed 9 June 2017.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: National Center for Health Statistics. 2017 FastStats – pneumonia. 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/pneumonia.htm. Accessed 9 June 2017.
- Chalmers JD, Rother C, Salih W, Ewig S. Healthcare-associated pneumonia does not accurately identify potentially resistant pathogens: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;58(3):330–9.Google Scholar
- Hua F, Xie H, Worthington H, Furness S, Zhang Q, Li C. Oral hygiene care for critically ill patients to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;(10):CD008367.Google Scholar
- Kalil A, Metersky M, Klompas M, Muscedere J, Sweeney D, Palmer L. Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 Clinical Practice Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Thoracic Society. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;63(5):e61–111.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kawaler E, Cobian A, Peissig P, Cross D, Yale S, Craven M. Learning to predict post-hospitalization VTE risk from EHR data. 2012. https://www.biostat.wisc.edu/~craven/papers/kawaler-amia12.pdf. Accessed 9 June 2017.
- Klompas M. Nosocomial pnuemonia. In: Bennett JE, Dolin R, Blaser MJ, editors. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2015. p. 3325–33. https://books.google.com/books?id=BseNCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA1677&lpg=PA1677&dq=Klompas+M.+303.+Nosocomial+pneumonia+IN:+Principles+and+Practice+of+Infectious+Diseases&source=bl&ots=0JOzv9d6SS&sig=Pq1mon9z0qR1HO7QbNoKaJcaNWk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjgqaS2_tjTAhUiwYM. Accessed 9 June 2017.Google Scholar
- Marino PJ, Wise MP, Smith A, Marchesi JR, Riggio MP, Lewis MAO, Williams DW. Community analysis of dental plaque and endotracheal tube biofilms from mechanically ventilated patients. J Crit Care. 2017;39:149–55.Google Scholar
- National Center for BioMedical Ontology SNOMED CT – Pneumonia – Classes: NCBO BioPortal. BioPortal. © 2005–2017 Board of Trustees of Leland Stanford Junior University. 2017. http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT?p=classes&conceptid=233604007. Accessed 9 June 2017.
- Scannapieco F. Pneumonia and oral pathogens. In: The oral-systemic health connection: a guide to patient care. Hanovar Park, IL: Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc.; 2014. p. 301.Google Scholar
- Scott II D. The Direct medical costs of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitals and the benefits of prevention. Mar 2009. https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/11550. Accessed 9 June 2017.
- Shi Z, Xie H, Wang P, Zhang Q, Wu Y, Chen E, et al. Oral hygiene for critically ill paitents to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia. Cochrance Databases Syst Rev. 2013;(8):CD008367.Google Scholar
- Tedja R, Gordon S. Hospital-acquired, healthcare-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia. 2013. http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/infectious-disease/health-care-associated-pneumonia/. Accessed 16 June 2017.
- Therapeutic Guidelines Limited. SMART-COP tool for assessing severity of Community-Acquired Pneumonia (CAP) in adults. eTG. © Therapeutics Guidelines Ltd. (www.tg.org.au). 2010. https://lifeinthefastlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/etg-smartcop.pdf. Accessed 9 June 2017.