Leading Within a Male-Dominated Sector: The Female Outsider Leader Landscape
This chapter looks at the evolution of a technology leader trajectory through a female lens. It begins by considering the debate around gender imbalance in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) sector and contemplates the challenges and opportunities in addressing this anomaly. It then discusses the career of a female outsider leader (Regina Moran), who has risen through the ranks of a global IT company (Fujitsu) over the last 30 years. As Vice President and Head of Industries EMEAI at Fujitsu and one of the 50 most influential women in Information Technology in the UK, Regina looks back over her career to date and discusses the need for current business leaders and mentors to entice both genders to pursue careers in STEM to help build a reservoir of future female business leaders in these sectors. A conclusion is presented at the end of the chapter, along with a reflection on the chapter’s content.
- BNY Mellon. 2017. Women in Management—The Leadership Pipeline 2017. BNY Mellon, 30% Club, IBEC, Dublin City University.Google Scholar
- ComputerWorld. 2015. Fewer British Women Studying Computer Science than in 2010. https://www.computerworlduk.com/careers/uk-demand-for-it-workers-continues-grow-rapidly-3619000/. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Corbett, C., and C. Hill. 2015. Solving the Equation: The Variables for Women’s Success in Engineering and Computing. AAUW, Washington, DC, March.Google Scholar
- EIGE. 2017. Gender Equality Index 2017: Measuring Gender Equality in the European Union 2005–2015, European Institute for Gender Equality, Vilnius.Google Scholar
- Engineers Ireland. 2017. Engineers Ireland Survey. Dublin, Ireland.Google Scholar
- Eurostat. 2017. Statistics by Theme. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/data/database. Accessed Feb 2018.
- Forbes Insights. 2011. Global Diversity and Inclusion—Fostering Innovation Through a Diverse Workforce. http://images.forbes.com/forbesinsights/StudyPDFs/Innovation_Through_Diversity.pdf. Accessed Jan 2018.
- FTSE 100. 2017. FTSE 100 CEOs. Financial Times Stock Exchange, London, August.Google Scholar
- Fujitsu. 2014. Fujitsu Ireland CEO Appointed as President of Engineers Ireland. London: Press Release.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. Fujitsu names Regina Moran as CEO of UK & Ireland. London: Press Release.Google Scholar
- Fujitsu.com. 2018. Fujitsu at a Glance. http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/corporate/info/. Accessed Mar 2018.
- Gradireland. 2012. Learning from Leaders—Regina Moran. Ireland’s 100 Leading Graduate Employers 2011/2012. https://gradireland.com/career-sectors/it-and-telecoms/regina-moran. Accessed Mar 2018.
- Mac Sweeney, N. 2014. CEO Q&A: Regina Moran, CEO, Fujitsu Ireland. Business and Finance. October 26. https://businessandfinance.com/ceo-qa-regina-moran-ceo-fujitsu-ireland/. Accessed Feb 2018.
- McDonald, C. 2016. The 50 Most Influential Women in UK IT 2016. ComputerWeekly.com. Jun 21.
- McKinsey. 2015. Why Diversity Matters. McKinsey & Company, US, January.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. Women in the Workplace. McKinsey & Company, US, September.Google Scholar
- McKinsey Global Institute. 2015. The Power of Parity. McKinsey & Company, US, September.Google Scholar
- Moran, R. 2015a. What a First Couple of Months!, Fujitsu Website, published Aug 28. https://blog.uk.fujitsu.com/uncategorized/what-a-first-couple-of-months/#.W3F3piRKiM8. Accessed Mar 2018.
- ———. 2015b. Key Note Speaker. Engineering and Technology Colloquium, Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland, February 5.Google Scholar
- Phillips, T., R. Tulsiani, and P. Sangsuwan. 2016. The Green Park Leadership 10,000, Green Park, UK.Google Scholar
- Rossi, B. 2016. Wisdom of the East: Interview with Fujitsu UK and Ireland CEO Regina Moran. Information Age. February 16. http://www.information-age.com/wisdom-east-interview-fujitsu-uk-and-ireland-ceo-regina-moran-123460950/. Accessed Feb 2018.
- Talent 2030 Dashboard. 2015. National Centre for Universities and Business. http://www.ncub.co.uk/reports/talent-2030-dashboard-2015.html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Women in STEM. 2017. WISE Campaign. https://www.wisecampaign.org.uk/resources/2017/10/women-in-stem-workforce-2017. Accessed Jan 2018.