The Speed Calculated Hand Activity Level (HAL) Matches Observer Estimates Better Than the Frequency Calculated HAL
Hand Activity Level (HAL) can be estimated from observations (HALO), calculated from exertion frequency, F and duty cycle D (HALF) or from speed, S and D (HALS). Data collected by prospective cohort studies were used to compare these methods. There was 75% agreement between HALO and HALS (HALS = 1.02 × HALO −0.2, R2 = 0.78, F(1,1003) = 43665, p < .001), but only 30% agreement between HALO and HALF (HALF = 0.21 × HALO + 2.2, R2 = 0.04, F(1,1003) = 71.71, p < .001). HALS was more consistent with HALO since both are dependent on speed, and because HALS can be automated, it is more objective than HALF or HALO in this sample.
KeywordsRepetitive motion Threshold limit value Musculoskeletal disorders
- 4.Akkas O, Lee CH, Hu YH, Yen TY, Radwin RG (2016) Measuring elemental time and duty cycle using automated video processing. Ergonomics, 1–12Google Scholar
- 7.Bao SS, Kapellusch JM, Garg A, Silverstein BA, Harris-Adamson C, Burt SE, Dale AM, Evanoff BA, Gerr FE, Hegmann KT, Merlino LA, Thiese MS, Rempel DM (2015) Developing a pooled job physical exposure data set from multiple independent studies: an example of a consortium study of carpal tunnel syndrome. Occup. Environ. Med. 72(2):130–137CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Harris-Adamson C, Eisen EA, Dale AM, Evanoff B, Hegmann KT, Thiese MS, Kapellusch JM, Garg A, Burt S, Bao S, Silverstein B, Gerr F, Merlino L, Rempel D (2013) Personal and workplace psychosocial risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome: a pooled study cohort. Occup. Environ. Med. 70(8):529–537CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Harris-Adamson C, Eisen EA, Kapellusch J, Garg A, Hegmann KT, Thiese, MS, Dale AM, Evanoff B, Burt S, Bao S, Silverstein B, Merlino L, Gerr F, Rempel D (2014) Biomechanical risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome: a pooled study of 2474 workers. Occup. Environ Med. oemed-2014Google Scholar
- 10.Kapellusch JM, Garg A, Bao SS, Silverstein BA, Burt SE, Dale AM, Evanoff BA, Gerr FE, Harris-Adamson C, Hegmann KT, Merlino LA, Rempel DM (2013) Pooling job physical exposure data from multiple independent studies in a consortium study of carpal tunnel syndrome. Ergonomics 56(6):1021–1037CrossRefGoogle Scholar