Role of Cerebral Venous System in Neurodegenerative Disorders
The role of cerebral venous system in the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases remains largely unknown and underinvestigated. Recent studies have suggested that several neurodegenerative disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, appear to be associated with venous dysfunction. Unlike the cerebral arterial system, the spatial organization of cerebral venous system is more complicated and often asymmetric, with greater structural heterogeneity than cerebral arterial anatomy. Consequently, this system has been far less studied and understood. Currently, there is an intense debate on whether cerebral venous system dysfunction can influence neurological diseases. In this chapter, we review the role of cerebral venous system in neurodegenerative diseases and aim to give some new concepts on the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases.
KeywordsNeurodegenerative diseases Cerebral venous system Parkinson’s disease Multiple sclerosis
- 11.Kalogeris TJ, Kevil CG, Laroux FS, Coe LL, Phifer TJ, Alexander JS. Differential monocyte adhesion and adhesion molecule expression in venous and arterial endothelial cells. Am J Phys. 1999;276(1 Pt 1):L9–L19.Google Scholar
- 12.Amberger A, Maczek C, Jurgens G, Michaelis D, Schett G, Trieb K, Eberl T, Jindal S, Xu Q, Wick G. Co-expression of ICAM-1, VCAM-1, ELAM-1 and Hsp60 in human arterial and venous endothelial cells in response to cytokines and oxidized low-density lipoproteins. Cell Stress Chaperones. 1997;2(2):94–103.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zakkar M, Luong le A, Chaudhury H, Ruud O, Punjabi PP, Anderson JR, Mullholand JW, Clements AT, Krams R, Foin N, Athanasiou T, Leen EL, Mason JC, Haskard DO, Evans PC. Dexamethasone arterializes venous endothelial cells by inducing mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1: a novel antiinflammatory treatment for vein grafts? Circulation. 2011;123(5):524–32.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Carden D, Xiao F, Moak C, Willis BH, Robinson-Jackson S, Alexander S. Neutrophil elastase promotes lung microvascular injury and proteolysis of endothelial cadherins. Am J Phys. 1998;275(2 Pt 2):H385–92.Google Scholar
- 32.Ali F, Hamdulay SS, Kinderlerer AR, Boyle JJ, Lidington EA, Yamaguchi T, Soares MP, Haskard DO, Randi AM, Mason JC. Statin-mediated cytoprotection of human vascular endothelial cells: a role for Kruppel-like factor 2-dependent induction of heme oxygenase-1. J Thromb Haemost. 2007;5(12):2537–46.CrossRefGoogle Scholar