Simplified Methodology for Stiffness Estimation of Double D Shaped Caisson Foundations
- 243 Downloads
Foundation stiffness plays a crucial role in the stability analysis of structures to incorporate the Soil Structure Interaction (SSI) effects. Current design approaches of estimating foundation stiffness include advanced dynamic finite element, distributed spring approach, and lumped spring approach. The aim of this paper is to overview the different methods for computing the foundation stiffness and to check their applicability. This has been done by considering an example: Saraighat Bridge supported on double D shaped caisson foundation. Advanced three dimensional finite element analysis is performed to extract the stiffness (Lateral, rotational, and coupling) of double D foundations and the results are compared to the representative circular foundations. It has been concluded that the stiffness of foundation can be significantly affected by its geometry. Furthermore, the stiffness functions are utilized in computing the fundamental frequency of the bridge and also compared with the frequency obtained from different approaches. The frequency estimated using the present study matches satisfactorily well with the monitored data testifying the validation of the work.
KeywordsCaisson Foundations Stiffness Estimation Dimensional Finite Element Analysis Stiffness Function Circular Shaft
The first author would like to thank the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) for providing him the financial support (reference no: INCN-2016-214) enabling him to perform his research activities in the University of Surrey, United Kingdom. The funding received is fully acknowledged.
- Abbas, J.M., Chik, Z.H., Taha, M.R.: Single pile simulation and analysis subjected to lateral load. Electron. J. Geotech. Eng. 13 (2008)Google Scholar
- Carter, J.P., Kulhawy, F.H.: Analysis of laterally loaded shafts in rock. J. Geotech. Eng. ASCE (1992). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1992)118:6(839)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gazetas, G.: Formulas and charts for impedances of surface and embedded foundations. J. Geotech. Eng. ASCE (1991). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1991)117:9(1363)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Higgins, W., Basu, D.: Fourier finite element analysis of laterally loaded piles in elastic media. International Geotechnical Report, University of Connecticut, US (2011)Google Scholar
- Jalbi et. al.: Practical method to estimate foundation stiffness for design of offshore wind turbines. Wind Energy Eng.: A handbook for onshore and offshore wind turbines, 329 (2017)Google Scholar
- Krishnaveni, B., Alluri, S.K.R., Murthy, M.R.: Generation of p-y curves for large diameter monopiles through numerical modelling. Int. J. Res. Eng. Technol. (2016)Google Scholar
- Plaxis, B.V.: PLAXIS 3D 2013 Reference Manual. PLAXIS BV, Delft (2013)Google Scholar
- Poulos, H.: The displacement of laterally loaded piles: I-single piles. J. Soil Mech. Found. Div. 97, 711–731 (1971)Google Scholar