A Proactive Model for Joint Maintenance and Logistics Optimization in the Frame of Industrial Internet of Things
Equipment failures in manufacturing processes concern industries because they can lead to severe issues regarding human safety, environmental impact, reliability, and production costs. The stochastic nature of equipment degradation and the uncertainty about future breakdowns affect significantly the maintenance and inventory decisions. Proactive event processing can facilitate this decision-making process in an Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) environment, but real-time data processing poses several challenges in efficiency and scalability of the associated information systems. Therefore, appropriate real-time, event-driven algorithms and models are required for deciding on the basis of predictions, ahead of time. We propose a proactive event-driven model for joint maintenance and logistics optimization in a sensor-based, data-rich industrial environment. The proposed model is able to be embedded in a real-time, event-driven information system in order to be triggered by prediction events about the future equipment health state. Moreover, the proposed model handles multiple alternative (imperfect and perfect) maintenance actions and associated spare parts orders and facilitates proactive decision making in the context of Condition-Based Maintenance (CBM). The proposed proactive decision model was validated in real industrial environment and was further evaluated with a comparative and a sensitivity analysis.
KeywordsProactivity Event processing IIoT Condition-Based Maintenance Spare parts ordering Decision making Predictive maintenance
This work is partly funded by the European Commission projects: FP7 ProaSense—“The Proactive Sensing Enterprise” (612329) and H2020 UPTIME “Unified Predictive Maintenance System” (768634).
- Bousdekis, A., Papageorgiou, N., Magoutas, B., Apostolou, D., & Mentzas, G. (2015b). A real-time architecture for proactive decision making in manufacturing enterprises. In OTM confederated international conferences “on the move to meaningful internet systems” (pp. 137–146). New York: Springer International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Engel, Y., Etzion, O., & Feldman, Z. (2012). A basic model for proactive event-driven computing. In: Proceedings of the 6th ACM International Conference on Distributed Event-Based Systems (pp. 107–118). ACM.Google Scholar
- Etzion, O., & Niblett, P. (2010). Event processing in action. New York: Manning Publications Co.Google Scholar
- Feldman, Z., Fournier, F., Franklin, R., & Metzger, A. (2013). Proactive event processing in action: A case study on the proactive management of transport processes (industry article). In: Proceedings of the 7th ACM International Conference on Distributed Event-Based Systems (pp. 97–106). ACM.Google Scholar
- Hu, R., Yue, C., & Xie, J. (2008). Joint optimization of age replacement and spare ordering policy based on generic algorithm. In: Proceedings of 2008 International Conference on Computational Intelligence And Security (pp. 156–161).Google Scholar
- Pistofidis, P., Emmanouilidis, C., Koulamas, C., Karampatzakis, D., & Papathanassiou, N. (2012). A layered e-maintenance architecture powered by smart wireless monitoring components. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT) (pp. 390–395). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Riemer, D., Kaulfersch, F., Hutmacher, R., & Stojanovic, L. (2015). StreamPipes: Solving the challenge with semantic stream processing pipelines. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM International Conference on Distributed Event-Based Systems (pp. 330–331). ACM.Google Scholar
- Sejdovic, S., Hegenbarth, Y., Ristow, G. H., & Schmidt, R. (2016). Proactive disruption management system: How not to be surprised by upcoming situations. In: Proceedings of the 10th ACM International Conference on Distributed and Event-based Systems (pp. 281–288). ACM.Google Scholar
- Stopar, L. (2015). A Multi-Scale methodology for explaining data streams. Conference on Data Mining and Data Warehouses (SiKDD 2015) held at the 18th International Multiconference on Information Society IS-2015. October 5th, 2015, Ljubljana, Slovenia.Google Scholar
- Watkins, C. J., & Dayan, P. (1992). Q-learning. Machine Learning, 8(3–4), 279–292.Google Scholar
- Xie, J., & Wang, H. (2008). Joint optimization of condition-based preventive maintenance and spare ordering policy. In: Proceedings of 4th international conference on wireless communications networking and mobile computing, (WiCOM 08) (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- Zimmermann, A., Schmidt, R., Sandkuhl, K., Wißotzki, M., Jugel, D., & Möhring, M. (2015, September). Digital enterprise architecture-transformation for the internet of things. In: Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Workshop (EDOCW), 2015 IEEE 19th International (pp. 130–138). IEEE.Google Scholar