How the US Federal Communications Commission Managed the Process of IT Modernization
- 5.4k Downloads
Situation faced: This case examines how the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) executed its information technology (IT) modernization effort. In 2013, the FCC was spending about 80% of its IT budget on maintaining its legacy systems. Further, the FCC had experienced constant changes in top leadership that resulted in several fragmented IT modernization efforts. The outdated IT systems were not only costly to maintain but were prone to cyber-attacks and verge of major failure. And, the employee morale was lower, and they feared IT modernization and transformation. Overall, the FCC faced several technical and human challenges with IT modernization.
Action taken: Acknowledging the eight previous years of fragmented implementation, the new CIO conducted inventory of both IT and human infrastructure. The CIO commissioned an IT tech team to conduct an inventory of the existing IT infrastructure in the organization with a focus to understand vulnerabilities and level of exposure to cyber security. Further, the CIO also took steps to understand the sentiments of employees, customers, and top leadership about IT modernization efforts. Public agencies often promote silo functioning and employees are fearful about change. Thus, the CIO designed several initiatives to solicit feedback from diverse stakeholders and regularly engage them in the process of IT modernization.
Results achieved: The FCC moved 207 on premise IT systems to either public cloud environments or with a commercial service provider. In the process of this successful transformation, the Commission reduced the amount spent on operating and maintaining systems from over 85% to less than 50%. The FCC achieved this with a flat budget, thereby increasing the percentage of funds available for new development even. The FCC also reduced the time it took to prototype new systems from approximately 7 months to less than 48 h to produce a prototype.
Lessons learned: The FCC’s IT modernization efforts offer following lessons to C-suite leaders: (1) develop a IT modernization strategy that includes both IT systems and the people supporting it; (2) plan a phased approach that achieves ‘quick wins’ in cloud implementation to increases momentum; (3) take time to align both top leadership and employees’ expectations with the IT modernization effort during planning; (4) adopt an open innovation approach that encourages and empower ‘change agents’ within the agency to creatively address in a cloud environment the longstanding challenges associated with the agency’s legacy endeavors, IT systems, and roles; and (5) effectively engage and communicate openly with internal and external stakeholders.
KeywordsChief Information Officer (CIO) Quick Wins Cloud Implementation Modernization Efforts Open Innovation Approach
We thank David Bray and his team at the FCC for providing us material for this case study. All errors and omissions are solely our responsibility.
- Almonaies AA, Cordy JR, Dean TR (2010) Legacy system evolution towards service-oriented architecture. In: International workshop on SOA migration and evolution, pp 53–62Google Scholar
- Boyd DA (2015) FCC CIO leads an IT “intervention.” Federal Times. http://www.federaltimes.com/story/government/interview/one-one/2015/05/14/fcc-cio-leads-intervention/27255053/. Accessed 20 May 2016
- Bray DA (2014) Modernizing the FCC enterprise. https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/blog/2014/04/28/modernizing-fcc-enterprise. Accessed 20 May 2016
- Bray DA (2015a) Case in point: building an agile workforce and enterprise at the FCC. 2015 Public Sect. Future Summit. http://lnwprograms.org/case-point-building-agile-workforce-and-enterprise-fcc. Accessed 2 Feb 2017
- Bray DA (2015b) FCC Dr. David A. Bray. Federal Communications Commission. https://www.fcc.gov/general/dr-david-bray. Accessed 21 May 2016
- Cloud Computing Caucus Advisory Group (2016) Don’t be a box hugger. Cloud Computing Caucus Advisory Group. http://www.cloudcomputingcaucus.org/boxhugger/. Accessed 31 July 2017
- Dawson GS, Denford JS (2015) A playbook for CIO-enabled innovation in the federal government. IBM Cent. Bus. Gov. http://www.businessofgovernment.org/report/playbook-cio-enabled-innovation-federal-government. Accessed 2 Feb 2017
- Desouza KC (2011) Intrapreneurship: managing ideas within your organization. University of Toronto Press, Toronto, ONGoogle Scholar
- FCC (2015) Agency financial report. https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-336480A1.pd. Accessed 2 Feb 2018
- FCC (n.d.) What we do. https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/what-we-do. Accessed 20 May 2016
- Fretwell L (2015) Inside the new FCC consumer help center. GovFresh. http://www.govfresh.com/2015/01/inside-new-fcc-consumer-help-center/. Accessed 21 May 2017
- GAO (2013) Information technology: agencies need to strengthen oversight of multibillion dollar investments in operations and maintenance. http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-66. Accessed 21 May 2017
- Golden H (2015) FCC website gets a refresh. Nextgov. http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing/2015/04/fcc-unveils-its-new-and-improved-website/110848/. Accessed 21 May 2016
- Gwyn BD (2015) The new RFI: request for innovation. FCW. https://fcw.com/articles/2015/08/24/comment-dave-gwyn.aspx. Accessed 20 May 2017
- Hamilton G (2014) Major overhaul: how the FCC CIO plans to modernize 207 legacy IT systems. The Enterprisers Project https://enterprisersproject.com/article/2014/11/major-overhaul-how-fcc-cio-plans-modernize-207-legacy-it-systems. Accessed 21 May 2017
- Harvard (2015) Leadership from invention to impact: insights from the 2015 public sector for the future summit at Harvard University. http://lnwprogram.org/sites/default/files/2015_Leadership_from_Invention_to_Impact.pdf#12. Accessed 20 May 2017
- High P (2015) The secrets of the most social CIO in the world. Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterhigh/2015/09/08/the-secrets-of-the-most-social-cio-in-the-world/#1ac1c09a6540. Accessed 2 Feb 2017
- Hochmuth C (2014) FCC prioritizes 7 areas for modernization efforts. FedScoop. http://fedscoop.com/fcc-prioritizes-seven-areas-modernization-efforts. Accessed 21 May 2016
- Jerry M (2015) David Bray, FCC and Corina DuBois, Office of the Secretary of Defense: change agents in government. CXOTalk. https://www.cxotalk.com/david-bray-fcc-corina-dubois-office-secretary-defense-change-agents-government. Accessed 21 May 2017
- Konkel F (2016) Why knowing what you have is key to IT modernization efforts. Nextgov. http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing/2016/02/why-knowing-what-you-have-key-modernization-efforts/125852/. Accessed 20 May 2016
- Miller J (2015) FCC pulls IT upgrade from jaws of defeat. FederalNewsRadio.com. http://federalnewsradio.com/management/2015/09/fcc-pulls-upgrade-jaws-defeat/. Accessed 21 May 2017
- Monteith K, Sohn GB, Cornell D (2015) New consumer help center is designed to empower consumers, streamline complaint system. Federal Communications Commission. https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/blog/2015/01/05/new-consumer-help-center-designed-empower-consumers-streamline-complaint. Accessed 21 May 2017
- Moore J (2015) The crisis in federal IT that’s scarier than Y2K ever was. Nextgov.com. http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing/2015/11/crisis-federal-it-rivals-y2k/123908/?oref=ng-relatedstories. Accessed 20 May 2016
- Orban S (2016) 6 Strategies for migrating applications to the cloud. Medium. https://medium.com/aws-enterprise-collection/6-strategies-for-migrating-applications-to-the-cloud-eb4e85c412b4. Accessed 2 Feb 2018
- Otto G (2015) Inside the FCC’s risky IT overhaul. FedScoop. http://fedscoop.com/david-bray-fcc-it-overhaul. Accessed 20 May 2016
- Rudder C (2016) Behind-the-scenes: how the FCC migrated to the cloud (part 1). The Enterprisers Project. https://enterprisersproject.com/article/2016/1/behind-scenes-how-fcc-migrated-cloud. Accessed 21 May 2017
- Sebastian IM, Ross JW, Beath C, Mocker M, Moloney KG, Fonstad NO (2017) How big old companies navigate digital transformation. MIS Q Exec:197–213Google Scholar
- Wheeler T (2015) Oversight of the Federal Communications Commission. https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-336448A1.pdf. Accessed 21 May 2016