A Unified Framework for Designing EPTAS’s for Load Balancing on Parallel Machines
We consider a general load balancing problem on parallel machines. Our machine environment in particular generalizes the standard models of identical machines, and the model of uniformly related machines, as well as machines with a constant number of types, and machines with activation costs. The objective functions that we consider contain in particular the makespan objective and the minimization of the \(\ell _p\)-norm of the vector of loads of the machines, and each case allow the possibility of job rejection.
We consider this general model and design an efficient polynomial time approximation scheme (EPTAS) that applies for all its previously-studied special cases. This EPTAS improves the current best approximation scheme for some of these cases where only a polynomial time approximation scheme (PTAS) was known into an EPTAS.
- 3.Bonifaci, V., Wiese, A.: Scheduling unrelated machines of few different types. http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.0974 (2012)
- 7.Epstein, L., Levin, A.: Minimum total weighted completion time: Faster approximation schemes. http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.1059 (2014)
- 11.Gehrke, J.C., Jansen, K., Kraft, S.E.J., Schikowski, J.: A PTAS for scheduling unrelated machines of few different types. In: Freivalds, R.M., Engels, G., Catania, B. (eds.) SOFSEM 2016. LNCS, vol. 9587, pp. 290–301. Springer, Heidelberg (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-49192-8_24CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 12.Hochbaum, D.S.: Various notions of approximations: good, better, best and more. In: Hochbaum, D.S. (ed.) Approximation Algorithms. PWS Publishing Company (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.Jansen, K., Maack, M.: An EPTAS for scheduling on unrelated machines of few different types. CoRR, abs/1701.03263 (v2) (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.Kannan, R.: Improved algorithms for integer programming and related lattice problems. In: Proceedings of STOC 1983, pp. 193–206 (1983)Google Scholar
- 22.Schuurman, P., Woeginger, G.J.: Approximation schemes - a tutorial (2001). http://www.win.tue.nl/~gwoegi/papers/ptas.pdf