Green Supply Chain Management, Green Innovations, and Green Practices
This chapter objective is to provide a broad understanding of the role and impact of green innovations and green practices in green supply chains. Green supply chains are an extension of ordinary supply chains. Green innovations and green practices function as key antecedents in transforming an ordinary supply chain into a green supply chain. Effective green supply chains apply a coordinated triple bottom-line (TBL) approach to simultaneously realize environmental, economic, and social goals in supply chain operations. External and internal factors play an instrumental role in the adoption of green innovations and green practices in supply chains’ operations. Some of the factors are changing consumer demand, government regulations and institutional pressures, technological innovations, and stakeholders’ attitude toward long-term environment sustainability. A review of green supply chain management literature shows that when businesses integrate green innovations and green practices in their supply chains, they achieve encouraging triple bottom-line outcomes. Transparency and truthful compliance to green innovations and practices in supply chain operations are some of the biggest challenges in green supply chains.
KeywordsGreen supply chain management Green innovation practices Green practices Internal management practices External management practices Environmental performance
- Abdullah, M., Zailani, S., Iranmanesh, M., & Jayaraman, K. (2016). Barriers to green innovation initiatives among manufacturers: the Malaysian case. Review of Managerial Science, 10(4), 683–709 https://ezproxy1.usn.no:3528/10.1007/s11846-015-0173-9.Google Scholar
- Arimura, T., Darnall, N., & Katayama, H. (2011). Is ISO 14001 a gateway to more advanced voluntary action? A case for green supply chain management. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 61(2). https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1368393.
- Baines, T., Brown, S., Benedettini, O., & Ball, P. (2012). Examining green production and its role within the competitive strategy of manufacturers. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, 5(1). https://doi.org/10.3926/jiem.405.
- Blome, C., Hollos, D., & Paulraj, A. (2014). Green procurement and green supplier development: Antecedents and effects on supplier performance. International Journal of Production Research, 52(1), 32–49. http://ezproxy1.usn.no:2092/10.1080/00207543.2013.825748.Google Scholar
- Carter, C. R., & Rogers, D. S. (2008). A framework of sustainable supply chain management: Moving toward new theory. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 39(5), 360–387.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y.-S., Chang, C.-H., & Wu, F.-S. (2012). Origins of green innovations: the differences between proactive and reactive green innovations. Management Decision, 50(3), 368–398 http://ezproxy1.usn.no:2092/10.1108/00251741211216197.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y.-S., Lai, S.-B., & Wen, C.-T. (2006). The influence of green innovation performance on corporate advantage in Taiwan. Journal of Business Ethics, 67(4), 331–339 https://ezproxy2.usn.no:3481/10.1007/s10551-006-9025-5.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y. S. (2008). The driver of green innovation and green image-green core competence. Journal of Business Ethics, 81(3), 531–543 https://ezproxy2.usn.no:3481/10.1007/s10551-007-9522-1.Google Scholar
- Chiou, T.-Y., Chan, H. K., Lettice, F., & Sai Ho Chung, S. H. (2011). The influence of greening the suppliers and green innovation on environmental performance and competitive advantage in Taiwan. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 47(6), 822–836 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2011.05.016.Google Scholar
- Cuerva, M. C., Triguero-Cano, A., & Córcoles, D. (2014). Drivers of green and non-green innovation: empirical evidence in Low-Tech SMEs. Journal of Cleaner Production, 68, 104–113.Google Scholar
- Dai, J., Cantor, D. E., & Montabon, F. L. (2017). Examining corporate environmental proactivity and operational performance: A strategy-structure-capabilities-performance perspective within a green context. International Journal of Production Economics, 193, 272–280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2017.07.023.Google Scholar
- Díaz-García, C., González-Moreno, Á., & Sáez-Martínez, F. J. (2015). Eco-innovation: Insights from a literature review. Innovation: Management, Policy and Practice, 17(1), 6–23 http://ezproxy2.usn.no:2087/10.1080/14479338.2015.1011060.Google Scholar
- DNV GL. (2013). Sustainable product: What’s your approach? Retrieved from https://www.dnvgl.com/assurance/viewpoint/viewpoint-surveys/sustainable-products.html
- DNV GL. (2016). Integrating sustainability into the core business. Seizing the change. Retrieved from https://www.dnvgl.com/assurance/viewpoint/viewpoint-surveys/integrated-sustainability.html
- Epa.gov. (2017). Environmental Management Systems (EMS) | US EPA. [online] Available at: https://www.epa.gov/ems. Accessed 21 Jan 2017.
- Guo, Y.-F. (2017). Green innovation design of products under the perspective of sustainable development. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 51(1), 012011 (5pp).Google Scholar
- Hu, A.-W., & Fu, Z.-H. (2003). Green Design for Products. Journal of Zhuzhou Institute of Technology, 17(5), 21–23.Google Scholar
- Huang, Y. C., Ding, H. B., & Kao, M. R. (2009). Salient stakeholder voices: Family business and green innovation adoption. Journal of Management & Organization, 15, 309–326 https://search.proquest.com/docview/233256299?accountid=43239.Google Scholar
- Huang, X.-x., Hu, Z.-p., Liu, C.-s., Yu, D.-j., & Yu, L.-f. (2016). The relationships between regulatory and customer pressure, green organizational responses, and green innovation performance. Journal of Cleaner Production, 112, 3423–3433 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.10.106.Google Scholar
- Iranmanesh, M., Zailani, S., Moeinzadeh, S., & Nikbin, D. (2017). Effect of green innovation on job satisfaction of electronic and electrical manufacturers’ employees through job intensity: personal innovativeness as moderator. Review of Managerial Science, 11(2), 299–313 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11846-015-0184-6.Google Scholar
- Jabbour, A. B. L. D. S., Frascareli, F. C. D. O., & Jabbour, C. J. C. (2015). Green supply chain management and firms’ performance: Understanding potential relationships and the role of green sourcing and some other green practices. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 104, 366–374 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2015.07.017.Google Scholar
- Kunapatarawong, R., & Martínez-Ros, E. (2016). Towards green growth: How does green innovation affect employment? Research Policy, 45(6), 1218–1232.Google Scholar
- Luthra, S., Garg, D., & Haleem, A. (2013). Identifying and ranking of strategies to implement green supply chain management in Indian manufacturing industry using analytical hierarchy process. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, 6(4). https://doi.org/10.3926/jiem.693.
- Ninlawan, C., Seksan, P., Tossapol, K., & Pilada, W. (2010). The implementation of green supply chain management practices in electronics industry. In Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists; March 17–19: Hong Kong. Retrieved from http://www.iaeng.org/publication/IMECS2010/IMECS2010_pp1563-1568.pdf
- Poulsen, R. T., Ponte, S., & Lister, J. (2016). Buyer-driven greening? Cargo-owners and environmental upgrading in maritime shipping. Geoforum, 68, 57–68.Google Scholar
- Roper, S., & Tapinos, E. (2016). Taking risks in the face of uncertainty: An exploratory analysis of green innovation. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 112, 357–363.Google Scholar
- Sarkis, J., Zhu, Q., & Lai, K.-H. (2011). An organizational theoretic review of green supply chain management literature. International Journal of Production Economics, 130, 1–15.Google Scholar
- Singh, A., & Trivedi, A. (2016). Sustainable green supply chain management: trends and current practices. Competitiveness Review, 26(3), 265–288 https://search.proquest.com/docview/1826443162?accountid=43239.Google Scholar
- Stackhouse, L. (2014). Developed supplier relationship management brings in the big bucks. Marine Trader. Retrieved from http://readmt.com/news/article/2014/11/07/developed-supplier-relationship-management-brings-in-the-big-bucks/
- Stackhouse, L. (2015). 3 key sustainable maritime supply chain trends for 2015. Marine Trader. Retrieved from http://readmt.com/sustainability/article/2015/02/03/3-key-sustainable-maritime-supply-chain-trends-for-2015/
- Thoo, A., Abdul Hamid, A., Rasli, A., & Zhang, D. (2013). The moderating effect of Enviropreneurship on green supply chain management practices and sustainability performance. Advanced Materials Research, 869-870, 773–776 https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/amr.869-870.773.Google Scholar
- UNFCCC (2017). The Paris agreement. Retrieved 18 August from http://unfccc.int/paris_agreement/items/9485.php
- Van Den Berg, U., Labuschagne, J.-P., & Van Den Berg, H. (2013). The effects of greening the supplier and innovation on environmental performance and competitive advantage: original research. Journal of Transport and Supply Chain Management, 7(1), 1–7 https://doi.org/10.4102/jtscm.v7i1.121.Google Scholar
- Wong, S. K. S. (2012). The influence of green product competitiveness on the success of green product innovation: Empirical evidence from the Chinese electrical and electronics industry. European Journal of Innovation Management, 1, 468–490.Google Scholar
- WTO. (2014). Trade and development: Recent trends and the role of the WTO. WTO Publications Retrieved from https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/world_trade_report14_e.pdf.
- Zailani, S., Iranmanesh, M., Nikbin, D., & Jumadi, H. B. (2014). Determinants and environmental outcome of green technology innovation adoption in the transportation industry in Malaysia. Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, 22(2), 286–301 https://doi.org/10.1080/19761597.2014.973167.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Q., Geng, Y., & Lai, K.-H. (2010). Circular economy practices among Chinese manufacturers varying in environmental-oriented supply chain cooperation and the performance implications. Journal of Environmental Management, 91(6), 1324–1331.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Q., Sarkis, J., Lai, K. H. (2012). Green supply chain management innovation diffusion and its relationship to organizational improvement: An ecological modernization perspective. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 29(1), 168–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2011.09.012.Google Scholar