Determinants of ITF R&D Technology Commercialization in Logistics and Supply Chain Industries: R&D Technologist Perspective
Successful commercialization and adoption of research and development (R&D) project deliverables are defined as the whole R&D project completed, commercialized, and adopted in the industry. This chapter examines from R&D Technologist’s perspective the determinant factors of innovation and technology fund (ITF) and R&D Technology commercialization and adoption in Hong Kong Logistics and Supply Chain Industries. R&D Technologist always faces various challenges of developing technology that matches industry needs. This study investigates how R&D Technologists think their efforts can align with the industry needs during the development process. This is the first attempt of the multi-perspective study to bridge the gaps from idea generation, R&D and subsequent technology implementation, and adoption by industry. Qualitative and quantitative of the data collected from R&D Technologists have been carried out using a proposed market-driven project management model, market, science, technology, application, and market (MSTAM), and the results will shed lights on latter study from other perspectives.
KeywordsR&D development R&D Technology commercialization Project management R&D Technologist perspective
Application to market
Application programming interface
Early manufacturing involvement
Early supplier involvement
Internet of Things
Innovation and technology
Information Technology Bureau
Innovation and technology fund
Key performance indicator
Market to science
Market, science, technology, application, and market
New product development
Public key infrastructure
Pearl River Delta
Research and development
Return on investment
Sensor data cloud
Small- and medium-sized enterprises
Science to technology
Science, technology, application, and market
Technology to application
The authors would like to take this opportunity to thank the industrial advisors, Dr. Jack So, Dr. Aldar Chan, Dr. CC Cheung, and Dr. KL Fan for providing their valuable comment for the questionnaire. The authors also would like to express their sincere thanks and warmest appreciation to those R&D Technologists for sharing their valuable thoughts and incredible insights.
- Amadi-Echendu, J. E., & Rasetlola, R. T. (2011). Technology commercialization factors, frameworks and models. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 144–148.Google Scholar
- Ana Ferraz, José Machado, & Vítor Carvalho (2015). Prototype for determination of pre-transfusion tests based on image processing techniques. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- Ana Lima, Gabriela Fernandes, & Ricardo J. Machado (2016). Project and program management implications in the portfolio management of IT projects in applied R&D organizations. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 224–229.Google Scholar
- Bangchao Wang (2016). Requirements traceability technologies selection for industry. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 450–455.Google Scholar
- Boulter, L. (2004). Intellectual property issues for R&D management of global-industry academic links. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 634–645.Google Scholar
- Bruno M. Arnaut, Denise B. Ferrari, & Marcelo Lopes de Oliveira e Souza (2016). A requirements engineering and management process in concept phase of complex systems. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- Cheng-Mei Tung, Ta-Yu Tseng, & Wan-Chang Yen (2013). Fostering innovation commercialization at research institute and university: Strategy and policy implications. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 928–934.Google Scholar
- Christof Ebert, & Carlos Henrique C. Duarte (2016). Requirements engineering for the digital transformation: Industry panel. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 4–5.Google Scholar
- Cooper, R. G. (2011). Winning at new products: Creating value through innovation (4th ed.p. 194). New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Daniel Kasperek, Stefanie Fink, Sebastian Maisenbacher, Wolfgang Bauer, & Maik Maurer (2014). Assessing the informative value of complexity metrics within design structure matrices in early development phases of complex systems. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 351–356.Google Scholar
- Dong-dong Gao, & Ping, L. V. (2009). A sorting-based management model to support early supplier involvement in new product development. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 496–501.Google Scholar
- Fagno Fonseca, Patrick Letouzé, Rubens Pompeu, Leandro Garcia, Selma Regina, & George França (2016). Barriers in information technology project management. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 370–375.Google Scholar
- Florian Wohlfeil, & Orestis Terzidis (2014). Critical success factors for the strategic management of radical technological innovation. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- Franken, S., Kolvenbach, S., & Gräther, W. (2016). Involving end users into collaborative software development: The showcase of CloudTeams. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 821–826.Google Scholar
- Gilbert Regan, Derek Flood, & Fergal McCaffery (2016). Research findings from an industrial trial of a traceability assessment and implementation framework. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 91–95.Google Scholar
- Grandjonc Thomas, & Khattabi Yahya (2016). Benchmarking of the CAE-MPIC interface cards using ARINC 661 standard: An example of a university-industry collaboration. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Harshada Patel, Sue Cobb, Madeline Hallewell, Mirabelle D’Cruz, Richard Eastgate, Lorenzo Picinali, & Stefano Tamascelli (2016). User involvement in design and application of virtual reality gamification to facilitate the use of hearing aids. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 77–81.Google Scholar
- Herlandí de Souza Andrade, Ligia M. Soto Urbina, Andrea de Oliveira N. Follador, & Roberto da Cunha Follador (2016). Processes proposal for the intellectual property protection management in a technology licensing office from a Brazilian Scientific and Technological Institution. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1672–1680.Google Scholar
- HKTDC (2016). Economic and trade information on Hong Kong. Retrieved from: http://hong-kong-economy-research.hktdc.com/business-news/article/Market-Environment/Economic-and-Trade-Information-on-Hong-Kong/etihk/en/1/1X000000/1X09OVUL.htm. 20 May 2016.
- ITB (2016). Innovation and Technology Bureau established. Retrieved from: http://www.hketosydney.gov.hk/eng/press/2015/1120b.htm. 17 May 2016.
- ITF (2013). Chapter 9: Innovation and technology fund. Retrieved from: http://www.aud.gov.hk/pdf_e/e61ch09.pdf. 17 May 2016.
- Jian Lin, & Qing Lin (2017). Analysis of the key factors of intellectual property management at art institutions. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 206–208.Google Scholar
- John E. Ettlie (1995). Early manufacturing involvement in new product development. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 104–109.Google Scholar
- Joko Siswanto, & Anggi Maulida (2014). ERP module requirements for micro, small and medium enterprise fashion industry in Bandung. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 183–188.Google Scholar
- Joko Siswanto, & Anggi Maulida (2016). Validated ERP modules requirement for micro, small and medium enterprise fashion industry. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- Kamil Yavuz Kapusuz, & Ali Kara (2014). An industry sponsored undergraduate research (UR) experience: Preliminary study on fulfillment of program outcomes and industry requirements. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 306–311.Google Scholar
- Kawtar Belrhiti Alaoui, Zakaria Naimi, Ahmed Benlarabi, & Abdelkader Outzourhit (2015). Pilot line preindustrial reactor installation for applied research in vacuum deposition techniques for the preparation and characterization of photovoltaic cells. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–3.Google Scholar
- Kellner, A., Ahrens, M., Friedl, M., Hehenberger, P., Weingartner, L., Zeman, K., Kernschmidt, K., Feldmann, S., & Vogel-Heuser, B. (2016). Challenges in integrating requirements in model based development processes in the machinery and plant building industry. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- Konstantinos Smparounis, Dimitris Mavrikios, Menelaos Pappas, Vagelis Xanthakis, Giovanni Paolo Viganò, & Katharina Pentenrieder (2008). A virtual and augmented reality approach to collaborative product design and demonstration. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- LC Paper (2015). Legislative Council Panel on Commerce and Industry – Progress Report of Research & Development (R&D) Centres for 2014–15 cum Comprehensive Review on R&D Centres for 2012–12 to 2014–15. Retrieved from: http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr14-15/english/panels/ci/papers/ci20150616cb1-971-3-e.pdf. 20 May 2017.
- LC Paper (2016). Legislative Council Panel on Commerce and Industry – Progress Report of Research & Development (R&D) Centres for 2015–16. Retrieved from: http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr15-16/english/panels/ci/papers/ci20160621cb1-1045-5-e.pdf. 20 May 2017.
- LC Paper (2017). Legislative Council Panel on Commerce and Industry – Progress Report on Research & Development Centres for 2016–17. LC Paper No. CB (1)1144/16–17(03). Retrieved from: http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr16-17/english/panels/ci/papers/ci20170620cb1-1144-3-e.pdf. 14 July 2017.
- Lenina, S. V. B. (2016). Intellectual property protection: A step to realize make in India. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 2089–2092.Google Scholar
- Liliana Guzmán, Silke Steinbach, Philipp Diebold, Thomas Zehler, Klaus Schneider, & Matthias Habbe (2016). Evaluating the benefits of systematic project management in large public sector projects. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 32–35.Google Scholar
- LSCM (2017). R&D focus. Retrieved from: http://www.lscm.hk/eng/channel.php?channel=rd-focus. 22 Feb 2017.
- LSCM Survey (2008). Hong Kong logistics and supply chain industry survey. Retrieved from: http://www.haffa.com.hk/files/2_LSCM%20MI%20Project%20Survey%20Result.pdf. 18 May 2016.
- Mamoru Kiyota, & Hiroshi Kubo (2016). A training method proposal for R&D project managers. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 2088–2098.Google Scholar
- Marcos Lopez Rego, & Luiz Carlos de SB Carvalho (1995). Managing R&D projects: A systemic approach. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 281–286.Google Scholar
- Mats P.E. Heimdahl, & Jeflrey M. Thompson (2000). Specification based prototyping of control systems. IEEE Conference Publications, vol. 1, pp. 1D3/1–1D3/8.Google Scholar
- Michael Mutingi, & Stephen Matope (2013). Dynamics of information technology adoption in a complex environment. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1466–1471.Google Scholar
- Misoo Kwon, Hoyeon Ryu, Gunhee Kim, & Sungdo Ha (2006). Design of OWL ontology in R&D project management meeting. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 417–423.Google Scholar
- Norhadilah Abdul Hamid, & Azmawani Abd. Rahman (2014). A systematic literature review on the success factor of innovation commercialization performance. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 199–204.Google Scholar
- Qing Lin, & Shawn Wong (2017). A study of intellectual property protection for mass innovation spaces. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 973–975.Google Scholar
- Research Report (2011). The road to sustainable development of Hong Kong SMEs – the present and future. Retrieved from: https://www.smefund.tid.gov.hk/english/sdf/deliverables/Sustainabledev_SMEs_research_report_eng.pdf. 19 May 2016.
- Rothwell, R., & Zegveld, W. (1985). Reindustrialization and technology. Harlow: Longman.Google Scholar
- Seo-Kyun Kim, Bong-Gyou Lee, & Kyoung-Seok Oh (2009). The effect of R&D and technology commercialization capabilities on the innovation performance of Korean IT SMEs: The case of direct and indirect receipts of public R&D funding. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1531–1541.Google Scholar
- Sheila Lam (2016). Policy address ‘16 review: Reintroducing re-industrialization, computer world Hong Kong. Retrieved from: http://cw.com.hk/feature/policy-address-16-review-reintroducing-re-industrialization. 27 Jan 2016.
- Sofija Hotomski, Eya Ben Charrada, & Martin Glinz (2016). An exploratory study on handling requirements and acceptance test documentation in industry. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 116–125.Google Scholar
- Souhaib Besrour, Lukman Bin Ab Rahim, & P. D. D. Dominic (2015). The study of the relation between requirement engineering techniques and challenges in software industry. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 49–53.Google Scholar
- Uda Hashim (2002). Development of as silicon sensor wafer fab for local industry requirement. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 145–149.Google Scholar
- Venlakaisa Holtta, Taneli Eisto, & Katrine Mahlamaki (2009). Benefits for cast product development through early supplier involvement. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–7.Google Scholar
- Vittorio Chiesa (2001). Models of technological innovation process. R&D Strategy and Organization Managing Technical Change in Dynamic Contexts, 4, 6–7.Google Scholar
- Wessner, C. W. (2005). Discussion Papers on entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy, “MYTHS and Realities about Government Support of Industry R&D”. p. 6. Retrieved from https://papers.econ.mpg.de/egp/discussionpapers/2005-06.pdf.
- Xiaohua Sun (2016). Research on risk management of engineering project. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Yayoi Hirose (2012). Knowledge transfer from researches to society: How to offset the cultural gap? IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1107–1116.Google Scholar
- Yuji Miyashita, Yuriko Sawatani, & Kiyoshi Niwa (2006). Improved market-creation R&D management through researcher-consultant collaboration. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 663–667.Google Scholar
- Zhao, C. L., Ming, X. G., Wang, X. H., & Li, D. (2009). A framework of supplier involved collaborative project management. IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 4130–4135.Google Scholar