Cost Reduction for Micro-Grid Powered Data Center Networks with Energy Storage Devices
The data center networks including multiple geo-distributed data centers begin to surge for meeting the ever-increasing Internet demand. To reduce the electricity bills in data centers, the current efforts center on developing sustainable data centers and improving energy efficiency. In this paper, we power data center with a microgrid which have conventional generators (CG), renewable energy sources (RES) and connected with electricity markets. To smooth the RES uncertainty, we integrate energy storage devices into microgrid. Besides, we consider any kind of energy can be charged into batteries or directly cover the demand of data centers. A stochastic program is formulated by integrating the geo-distributed load balancing, the energy management in microgrid and server configuration while guaranteeing the quality of service experience by end users. We design an online algorithm using Lyapunov optimization techniques without foreseeing any future information. The numerical evaluations based on real-world data sets corroborate the superior performance in reducing cost compared with previous works.
KeywordsData center networks Microgrid Lyapunov Energy storage devices Renewable energy sources
This work is supported by the NSF of China under Grant No. 71171045, No. 61772130, and No. 61301118; the Innovation Program of Shanghai Municipal Education Commission under Grant No. 14YZ130; and the International S&T Cooperation Program of Shanghai Science and Technology Commission under Grant No. 15220710600.
- 3.Birke, R., Podzimek, A., Chen, L.Y., Smirni, E.: State-of-the-practice in data center virtualization: toward a better understanding of VM usage. In: 2013 43rd Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN, Budapest, pp. 1–12 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/DSN.2013.6575350
- 5.Wang, Y., Chen, S., Goudarzi, H., Pedram, M.: Resource allocation and consolidation in a multi-core server cluster using a Markov decision process model. In: International Symposium on Quality Electronic Design, ISQED, Santa Clara, CA, pp. 635–642 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Nguyen, B.M., Tran, D., Nguyen, Q.: A strategy for server management to improve cloud service QoS. In: 2015 IEEE/ACM 19th International Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real Time Applications, DS-RT, Chengdu, pp. 120–127 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Deng, W., Liu, F., Jin, H., Wu, C., Liu, X.: MultiGreen: cost-minimizing multi-source datacenter power supply with online control. In: Proceedings of ACM International Conference on Future Energy System, Berkeley, CA, pp. 149–160 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Guo, Y., Ding, Z., Fang, Y., Wu, D.: Cutting down electricity cost in internet data centers by using energy storage. In: 2011 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference - GLOBECOM 2011, Houston, TX, USA, pp. 1–5 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. http://www.ferc.gov/
- 15.National Renewable Energy Laboratory. http://wind.nrel.gov